Sell me on the M&P 9

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Still looking for a all purpose handgun... Kahr PM's are still a possibility as is a SA EMP (but I'd like to venture into a "plug and play platform without extra levers).

So... I am a little intruiged by the Smith and Wesson M and P 9.... I want a 9mm for the cheaper feed bill... and would like to go with as much capacity as I can in a CCW freindly frame size.

Yea, nay, horror stories or glowing endorsments? Chime in here- thanks!

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am in the same boat so I don't think I can help. I have been looking at the s&w mp 9mm and the para ltc 9mm 1911. I dig the emp, but want a little more barrel length for range and competitions. It's a tough decision. Let me know how it works out for you.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The M&Ps are a fine gun. And Olyeller can do all manner of mods that you may want. I've got the 9Pro for USPSA comps and have about 5000 to 6000 rounds through it. They are easy to break down and clean, more than accurate enough for it's design, and very reliable. With Taylor Freelance mag extensions you can get 23 rounds into the mag. Don't think that would be good for CC though. My 9 is stock on the outside but here's some of Olyeller's work on a .45. He's also done his trigger magic on it.

[Broken External Image]

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
love both my M&P 9's. one is the full size service model and the other is a compact which is my edc concealed weapon riding in a supertuck deluxe iwb holster.

Havent heard anything bad about them. ive got a little over 1200 rounds through each of them with no issues what so ever. They will eat any ammo just like a glock. i have to load spent brass cases or snap caps in the mag just to run malfunction drills. would put my life on either way no doubt about it. have talked to a couple guys at ussa that have put ALOT of rounds through their's like in the amount of 40,000+. of course at that point the barrel was shot but you get my point these are some of the best of whats out there especially for the money. But Ymmv just my thoughts and opinions.

Keelty

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have the Pro9 the 9 and the 9c.

I love all three of them! The 9c is my ccw gun. If you are gonna shoot competitions then I would go for the 9l and send it to Accurate Iron for his fantastic work!

If it will be both competition and carry then I would recommend the 9 and still get it to Accurate Iron for a carry job.

I have 10000 rounds through my pro and it runs great! The only problem I have had was wearing out the recoil spring.

If you shoot it and still like it then buy one!!

onwmed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jef, I shot the Heartland match with you a few weeks ago and used my M&P 9 pro. I own Glocks, XD's, Sig's etc...but my go to gun is my M&P. I'm fairly new to comp shooting but the MP came as a recommendation and I'm glad I listened. The guns axis is perfect for me at least and the trigger on the MP Pro is sweet.

I've only had one FTF with mine and it was with cheap, crap ammo that I shouldn't have been using in comp in the first place. The gun feels good in my hand and I have loads of confidence when I'm shooting this gun. Not sure of how much of this is in my head....but so far, it works for me.

I have an MP 9c that I carry a lot and my airweight smith is the second gun that I depend on as much as the MP.

You're more than welcome to shoot mine all you want. Let me know if you'd like to run some ammo through it.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry a 9c most days and have loved every minute of it. It is a very nice size for carry but is still a decent sized shooter.

I have not had any problems or issues with mine.

If we can ever get together, you can run as may as you want through it.

I will add that you will probably like the pinky extension more than the flat ones.

BC

Still looking for a all purpose handgun... Kahr PM's are still a possibility as is a SA EMP (but I'd like to venture into a "plug and play platform without extra levers).

So... I am a little intruiged by the Smith and Wesson M and P 9.... I want a 9mm for the cheaper feed bill... and would like to go with as much capacity as I can in a CCW freindly frame size.

Yea, nay, horror stories or glowing endorsments? Chime in here- thanks!

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I been wanting one too but so far you haven't convinced me that it's any better than a Glock which has very few moving parts to break, cheap parts, lots of aftermarket stuff, and a snap to clean.

Latest posts

Top Bottom