Selling video equipment out of your van

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eellis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Today I was approached by two men in a van claiming to have extra video equipment for sale , cheap. I told them I wasnt interested and they kept asking . They stated that they were from Tulsa but plates said new mexico. I followed them to the next gas station and then to the next they eventually pulled on a side street and started doing business with some guy . I called dispatch and PD showed up couldn't stick around to see what the outcome was . Has anyone else had a run in with these guys? What are they up to? ??

Mr10mm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That or they show you the equipment then give you a box that looks unopened with something that weighs about the same. You pay they drive off and have a box of crap.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
White Van Scam. It's nothing new, either.

Most of them run around with legally acquired equipment, believe it or not. But the typical story is they're contractors working a big project, the supplier shipped too much product by mistake and their boss doesn't want to hassle with sending it back, so he allows the installers to sell it for cheap. They'll have a fake invoice showing "this costs our company $2,000" but they'll make a deal with you for $200 just to get rid of it. You'll get a product that you paid for, but it's nowhere near the quality they, the invoice, and the packaging make it seem.

Typically happens with audio equipment (specifically speakers), but I've seen it with video and home security equipment, too. Oddly enough, the few run-ins I've had with these people were when I was wiring up and installing audio, video, and home security components in new homes and was actually warned about the scam by my boss. Probably half of these encounters happened within a couple blocks of Synergy near downtown OKC.

The company responsible for this used to have an office over at I-40 and Meridian. Might still be there, actually.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yeah I use to work for a door to door meat sales place (for about a day) that also did this with car sterio, basicly you are paying 200$ for 20$ sub woofers, or 329$ for 2 boxes of crappy meat that cost 79$ a box. if you ever actually check the weight to price value your paying like 32$ a pound!

eellis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Talked to dispatcher today said everything was good PD let them go back to selling. Probably exactly how you said it Danny .

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
White Van Scam. It's nothing new, either.

Most of them run around with legally acquired equipment, believe it or not. But the typical story is they're contractors working a big project, the supplier shipped too much product by mistake and their boss doesn't want to hassle with sending it back, so he allows the installers to sell it for cheap. They'll have a fake invoice showing "this costs our company $2,000" but they'll make a deal with you for $200 just to get rid of it. You'll get a product that you paid for, but it's nowhere near the quality they, the invoice, and the packaging make it seem.

Talked to dispatcher today said everything was good PD let them go back to selling. Probably exactly how you said it Danny .

I don't get it. If they're showing you a fake invoice, and the contents of the package don't match the label on the box, how is this legal?

Latest posts

Top Bottom