Shooting Turtles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a little Ruger 77/22 which, with a a bipod shooting stick, is death on turtles. I think the alligator snapper is protected, and it seems like some others are, but it's been some time since I read the regs. When a pond that covers a little over an acre has well over a hundred turtles, it's time to thin the herd. Latest count was no more than three heads at a time, including one alligator snapper which is about a foot long. I have asked everyone to spare him, just because they are such cool critters. They have been known to weigh up to nearly 300 pounds. The aquarium at the Cotton Bowl used to have one that went 258. The one at Jenks is over 100 as I recall.

To whoever said they don't die, wait a few days and check the shoreline. Turtlegeddon. If there's lots of moss, you may not see them, but body shots with a .22 hollowpoint are usually fatal. I always try to hit 'em in the head, and really used to enjoy using the Mini-14 until ammo went so high.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nothing better than the sound of a slapping leg as a shot turtle does a death spiral around and around on top of the water.

Pop them in the nose with a .22, making them do the aforementioned death spiral, then get out the big bore pistols, and see how many times you can flip them into the air.
My buddy has a pond we built an elevated stand for two on the dam to get a better view, and a solid shooting rest.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
theres an old bridge near where i live that would get flooded and destroyed by water every few years. they fixed it several times and then eventually just blocked off the road and its no longer used. several years ago, actually i was probably still in my teens, so this was many many years ago i guess! lol, anyway, me and a friend were on the bridge shooting turtles and i was using 30.06. a decent sized turtle popped up straight down below the the bridge. from the bridge to the water is about 15-20 feet. i aimed straight down and shot that turtle square in the back and it was like the damn thing exploded! i guess in that split second with all the pressure under the turtle, it blew the top shell off that thing straight up in the air probably 30-40 feet above our heads and we both just stood there in amazment as it tumbled back down to the water. man it was the craziest thing how it blew off like that and went that high in the air.

Latest posts

Top Bottom