Shooting with the recurve...!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well....I've got me a recurve from an OSA member and I've been shooting daily since the beginning of Jan., things are starting to come together.

Since it was such a nice day yesterday, I thought I'd shoot at 20 yards right out of the gate,..I usually start at 10 and work my way out since I usually have to warm up a bit, plus I pretty much suck right now.

First 6 arrows,....all KILL SHOTS...!

Hit the LIVER, the SPINE, one in the HEART, one in the LUNGS and 2 in the JUGULAR...!

That's how it's done,..right boys..?

Looks like I'm ready for McAlester....

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v644_engrtobe_IMG_0002_web.jpg

:thumbup3:

brian89

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I bought one from a friend this summer and it is a blast to shoot.. puts a challenge into the hunt if you hunt with them..

good shooting if that was your first shots.. I missed the first six times I shot my recurve...

dcmtex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well....I've got me a recurve from an OSA member and I've been shooting daily since the beginning of Jan., things are starting to come together.

Since it was such a nice day yesterday, I thought I'd shoot at 20 yards right out of the gate,..I usually start at 10 and work my way out since I usually have to warm up a bit, plus I pretty much suck right now.

First 6 arrows,....all KILL SHOTS...!

Hit the LIVER, the SPINE, one in the HEART, one in the LUNGS and 2 in the JUGULAR...!

That's how it's done,..right boys..?

Looks like I'm ready for McAlester....

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v644_engrtobe_IMG_0002_web.jpg

:thumbup3:

Having shot recurves and longbows for over 30 years I hope you were hitting the spot you were intending to hit with those shots. If you can't put every arrow in a pie plate at 20 yards you still have alot of pratice to do.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having shot recurves and longbows for over 30 years I hope you were hitting the spot you were intending to hit with those shots. If you can't put every arrow in a pie plate at 20 yards you still have alot of pratice to do.

I'm just being sarcastic,..I know that's an awful bunch of arrows, and I SUCK. However, I was amused that every one hit the target somewhere.

And,..I gotta say you all are a rather polite bunch.. 30 views and only 3 replies and NO profanity...? If I'd posted that on other forums I visit, ...well...let's just say they wouldn't have many nice things to say.

dcmtex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dw444, I figured there was comedy here too. Thanks for the followup post. My crap rotator cuffs have moved me over to a compound for next year. You'll have alot of fun with the recurve. Good luck if you get drawn next year in Mcalester.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And,..I gotta say you all are a rather polite bunch.. 30 views and only 3 replies and NO profanity...? If I'd posted that on other forums I visit, ...well...let's just say they wouldn't have many nice things to say.

We just don't have any room to talk. :spitlaugh

I didn't fair much better the first time I flung an arrow from a recurve. I'm still not anything to brag about. My effective range is about 15 yards, 12 I'm fairly confident. I shoot to 20-25 but don't consider a hunting range for me. Hell, I prefer all my shots within 20 when compound hunting, even though I group tight much further. I'll shoot further sometimes, but I do what I can to get closer to them when possible. My confidence is higher.
I need to shoot year round. I get decent when I'm shooting a couple times a week or more, but I usually don't start until June. If I went out right now it would take a while, it's something I lose without practice. Some people don't, I do.

My main problem is consistency, as far as form and mainly my anchor point. I miss my anchor sometimes for some reason. Over thinking it or being distracted I think. It's so simple it's stupid, but it's not easy for me. If and when I'm consistent and anchor right, I can put an arrow in whatever I'm looking at. I know a bad shot before the arrow leaves the shelf, and I know what causes it. I know what makes a good shot. Just doing it every...single...time...is my problem. You'd think I'd get it eventually. :rolleyes2

Lots more fun to shoot than a compound, though. And it has made my compound shooting much better. Picking up a compound seems like a rifle in comparison to a stickbow.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The recurve takes lots of time. I have been shooting it for 2 years now and am just getting pretty confident at 20 yrds. I have killed 2 deer and a turkey with it. I try to shoot a few arrows every day even if I just throw a water bottle out in the yard and shoot at it by the driveway lights. I use the bludgeon points and they dig into the grass usually and don't go far. I am going to S Texas next month for a javelina/hog hunt with it so have some motivation for practice.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look up blind bale shooting and start there. Don't try to hit anything until you've developed a perfect form. It will seem like the long way around the barn, but you will pick it up much faster in the long run.

Most of all.... HAVE FUN!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom