Shopping for a new pellet smoker. Too many good choices!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember reading about the PBC (Pit Barrel Cooker) and I think they said they played around with different sizes and settled on the 30-gallon version because it offered better consistent results, but they couldn't explain why. Dr. Greg Blonder postulated that it had to do with the size and shape of the convection currents inside the 30-gal keeping more consistent temps and circulating smoke more evenly as well, better than either the 50-gallon or those smaller than 30-gal.

I'd have to go back and read more to make sure I'm remembering right. I just like the pellet burners due to the set-and-forget convenience. Using something like the A-Maz-N tube for extra smoke is an option, as well, since pellet burners don't impart quite as much smoke flavor as stick-burners. I've already got a set of the grill grates. Expensive, but they do a nice job when searing steaks.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was headed down the Pellet grill path recently as our gas grill is over 10 years old and could use a refresh.

I already have 2 electric smokers(Cookshack/Smokin' Tex).

I really like the convenience of our gas grill, quick startup, quick cleanup, and I add some assorted wood chunks to the diverter plate so I do get a little wood taste as well.

My current Manager has an old Treager and really likes it, but he says the new Traeger is not the same machine.

I was down to the Yoder or the Rec Tec(full package).

He sent me some info on a unit at Costco from Louisiana Grills, nice looking unit for $999 has 2 smokers off to the side.

He also sent me a great write up, can't find it now, but it was from one of the sites comparing the grills. The net was they liked RecTec and Yoder best, long wait on Yoder, and somewhat exclusive parts, great service from RecTec and uses "standard" internals. While all of the pellet grills seem to function and cook well, I'm not sure they will provide what I think I am missing with my electric smokers which is the good "bark" on my product, and they don't always smoke as well as a dedicated smoker, the pellets burn up pretty quickly I've heard. In addition my Manager had a situation where he had to grill a lot of burgers, he said it was a PITA on the Traeger as there is a hot side and cold side of the grill, and there was a ton of grease to deal with in the drip pail.

So for now I am in a holding pattern, will see how this plays out when the old gas grill dies...

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Found it...

1) Traeger is the original, although as a brand it has had it's ups and downs over the past 8-10 years. They used to be made in Oregon and at some point that manufacturing got outsourced to China. The quality went away and people started to complain about the light gauge steel and other "cheap" parts that were being used. This was all about the time that they started selling them in Costco and in shopping mall kiosks. I don't have a good feel for the current line but I am told that their new "Timberline" series is pretty nice. For reference, mine is the "Texas BBQ075" model, so the current Traeger Texas Elite is probably the closest to mine, at least in size. One advantage is that the Traeger architecture has become a standard for many brands so replacement parts and upgrades are widely available and interchangeable. I just replaced the firepot and ignitor in mine and added the Savannah Stoker PID controller. https://www.savannahstoker.com/collections/frontpage/products/savannah-stoker-pellet-grill-control-system Everything was plug and play and easy to get.

2) Yoder YS-640 - http://www.yodersmokers.com/ys640-pellet-grill.html This is a super high-quality, heavy duty model that's made in Wichita and currently has a 13-week back order :-( This one has many options and upgrades and you can customize it as you need. Lots of positive press from owners and seems to be an excellent choice. This one doesn't seem to be totally based on the Traeger model so replacement parts if needed may be harder to find. Built like a tank and heavy like one too.

3) Smokin Brothers https://www.smokinbrothers.com/PELLET_GRILLS_5.aspx These are locally made in Missouri and are based on the Traeger style architecture but with lots of improvements. Well made to last. The Premier line has insulated fireboxes to save on pellet usage when it's cooler outside, and also comes with the PID controller (Savannah Stoker - this is the one I added to my grill) Comes in 3 or 4 different sizes depending upon your needs. Available through dealers, they have a dealer locator on the website. My local shop code3spices.com carries this line and they are big fans.

4) Rec-Tec RT-680 -- http://www.rectecgrills.com/grills/ This is the one that's getting all the buzz right now -- This one has taken the Traeger architecture and made improvements everywhere there was a issue or problem. Lots of stainless parts including extra HD grill grates, includes a PID controller, big pellet hopper, ceramic ignitor, cool stainless bull-horn handles, light inside the grill for late nite smoking etc etc. If I was getting one for the first time I'd look seriously at this one. Reports of over the top support in place including the cell # for the founder and the owners of the company.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While all of the pellet grills seem to function and cook well, I'm not sure they will provide what I think I am missing with my electric smokers which is the good "bark" on my product
This is one of the main reasons the bbq masters prefer stick smokers...they way they move heat and flow air can't be duplicated in a pellet smoker, and it's central to bark development.

ShurShot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1992 model OK Joe's... still going strong. Restored it earlier this year.

I use an MES 40 and a Wedgie for overnight cooks when I don't want to manage the fire all night long. Or if I want it to cook all day while I'm out.

IMG_20170306_143234.jpg
tapatalk_1490482697604.jpeg
IMG_20170411_204858.jpg
IMG_20170415_091407.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it wasn't for the price I'd have a bigger Yoder, maybe next time. I bought the GMG DB and love it, wifi is a nice feature, the SS lid is just cosmetic. These things aren't just a smoker, use it as a grill, or even an oven too, meats, pizza, bread, cookies, veggies, jerky, desserts etc. This grill gets to 500, and I use grill grates for the perfect sear and/or grill marks. Pellet grills have a small learning curve but are awesome for cooking, it can't get easier to maintain consistent heat and not overpowering on smoke. On long cooks you can set it up and go into town or whatever for several hours without having to babysit. I often run errands or do yard work while the grill is cooking.

Three accessories I think are a must, for any smoker/grill.
Grill Grates https://www.grillgrate.com/
A-maz-n tube http://www.amazenproducts.com/
Don Godke's downdraft mod http://dongodkesdowndraft.com/

How do those A-max-n tubes work? Do the pellets auto ignite or do you get them started with external fire and let them smolder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeyinokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had my Traeger for over 7 years now.....never had a problem....I have been looking at the Smokin Brothers units at the Grilling store on N May in OKC recently....that's probably what I will buy when the time comes for a new one. Pretty impressive units, especially the premier ones.
For the previous post....you can start the pellets in the Amazen tube with a heat gun, or a small propane torch.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How do those A-max-n tubes work? Do the pellets auto ignite or do you get them started with external fire and let them smolder?
I think you light one end, but anyone is free to correct me. Also, it's my understanding that the tubes take dust; there's another version, sort of S-shaped, that does take pellets, and that one, I know you light one end.

mikeyinokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think you light one end, but anyone is free to correct me. Also, it's my understanding that the tubes take dust; there's another version, sort of S-shaped, that does take pellets, and that one, I know you light one end.
The tubes use pellets.....You can light them with a heat gun, or a propane torch...They do add some smoke flavor to what's cooking....Also good for smoking cheese...

Latest posts

Top Bottom