Shot Placement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RackStacker30

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot a doe Sunday evening and I thought I'd check to see what you guys / gals thought about the shot placement. Please let me know me know if you think it is ideal, good, or bad. Also post how far you think she should have run. After we get a few guesses I'll post the story and the answers to my questions. Just thought it would be beneficial to see everyone's point of view on the shot placement.

I've just posted links to the pics so as not to offend anyone who enters this thread and doesn't really care to see any horrific dead pics!

Entry Wound

Exit Wound

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it's perfectly fine. A little farther back an you would spare the front quarters from the shock of the shot (and yes a bow can induce shock into the tissues). But still nothing wrong with that shot. Being that it's bow season, I'd say she ran about 75 yards.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like a dang good shot, but it's hard to tell from pics sometimes. I'll await your story. Single lung (entry side) and some heart maybe? Just guessing. Looks a wee bit forward of where I like to aim with a bow, but not much at all (if the angle is what I think it is based in the exit, it's perfect if she was more broadside than I think).

I don't see her having gone more than 50-100 yds with a sharp broadhead. But maybe left a poor blood trail depending on what you hit.

On a side note, I never worry about "losing meat" due to a shot. I just worry about killing the deer. Meat loss is usually minimal anyways, and recovering the deer is more improtant. With a bow I personally have to have broadside, quartering away, or slight quartering to me, and always go for the double lung.
With a gun I'll add hard quartering to me, and shoot in front of the near side shoulder in the front of the chest. (I know some guys who take hard quartering towards with a bow, and that's great if your confident in it... I'm just not personally) I'll also take a high shoulder with a gun. I will never take a head, neck, or going away shot, and no a straight on shots unless the deer is really close. Just me.

I've just posted links to the pics so as not to offend anyone who enters this thread and doesn't really care to see any horrific dead pics!

I hope my picture thread didn't inspire that.:rolleyes: :D
I don't think anyone in the hunting forum is offended by dead deer, just sh*tty pics. And they don't offend me, they just suck.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with that shot. You can never tell how far a deer will run. I shot a doe with a 300wsm, hit her in the same place you did and she went 85 yards. Blood every where. My son shot a 260lb buck with a 243 only 1 spot of blood and he only went about 40 yards. Back to your question, that's where I aim every time just a tad bit lower and is where I taught my boy to aim.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Excellent shot - if you let her die in peace: 70-100 yards; if you spook her into adrenaline rush - could be a mile.

I don't think she'd go a mile if you popped both lungs good, no matter what you did. I've seen single lunged deer run a ways, but I've never seen a double lung shot go more than about 75 yards and drop dead within seconds.
Looking at it again, it sure looks like both lungs would have been hit, but the way he posted still makes me think it's a trick question

ai462.photobucket.com_albums_qq345_sfrenz_deer9_ribcage.jpg

I'm curious! Tell us dude!

Latest posts

Top Bottom