"Shotguns for Home Protection"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryP

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say being able to hit your target is a bigger concern than overpenetration. Unless you can't hit your target...

If a shotgun works for ya, knock yourself out. Obviously a shotgun is still a viable weapon for defense.

But I'll take an AR with good ammo (pick your caliber) every single time. I'm a firm believer an AR will do anything a shotgun will do for defense and it will do many things better with more capacity, more maneuverability, less recoil and generally better accuracy.

YMMV...
Agree

L.C.

👮🏻RETIRED L.E.O.👮🏻
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_1121.GIF

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say being able to hit your target is a bigger concern than overpenetration. Unless you can't hit your target...

If a shotgun works for ya, knock yourself out. Obviously a shotgun is still a viable weapon for defense.

But I'll take an AR with good ammo (pick your caliber) every single time. I'm a firm believer an AR will do anything a shotgun will do for defense and it will do many things better with more capacity, more maneuverability, less recoil and generally better accuracy.

YMMV...
The only quibble I’d have with this is this…

The mere thought of torching off an AR inside the house is almost as terrifying as the meth head is. I’ll use my Browning with #1 buck (vetted) or Fed FC low recoil 00 loads if I ever get it out and vet them for cycling more than I have.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Despite all the guns I’ve lost in boating accidents over the years, a $600 Shotgun guards my families life. I’m sure my neighbors appreciate that as well as I’m not John Wick and the most statistically likely time someone would be breaking in is when I’m fast asleep and not ready to be a precision aimer.

Some of y’all shooting 5.56 and 9mm, I would NOT want to live near.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
^^ Well I don't have any nearby neighbors so that's not a concern. And if you think you don't need to aim a shotgun, well... OK.

There are plenty of good, defensive .223 rounds that have been proven to penetrate LESS than common defensive handgun rounds. Sometimes we need to update our knowledge base just a little bit.

And, BTW... Most home burglaries occur during the time frame of approx noon to 4pm...when most people aren't at home. Not at night when people are at home. Mostly because they don't want to get shot by a homeowner.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Despite all the guns I’ve lost in boating accidents over the years, a $600 Shotgun guards my families life. I’m sure my neighbors appreciate that as well as I’m not John Wick and the most statistically likely time someone would be breaking in is when I’m fast asleep and not ready to be a precision aimer.

Some of y’all shooting 5.56 and 9mm, I would NOT want to live near.
Frangible ammo.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It doesn't even have to be frangible:

Here's an answer to a frequently asked question re: Hornady .223 ammo and overpenetration:

In short, no. In fact, every Hornady® 223 Rem and 5.56 NATO load is designed to penetrate less than most service pistol cartridges. Total penetration varies from as little as 5.5 inches from the 40 grain load to 15 inches from the 62 grain barrier load. All of these are equal to or less than the FBI’s maximum recommended penetration of 15 inches.

All Hornady® 223 and 5.56 loads are designed to expand rapidly when they come into contact with a soft medium. This allows for maximum wound cavitation and little risk of over-penetration.

But you still have to be able to hit what you need to hit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom