**sigh** another man purse discussion and poll...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which bag is best for GED?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I know, I know...here comes another thread about man purses. :rolleyes2

I always said I didn't have a need for one of these, but after taking a Rapid Response/Active Shooter class last week, I reckon I need one, but not for what most guys would need one for. Let me explain.

I don't plan on using a long gun or even a shotgun in the event of an active shooter. For those that have taken this class, you know what I mean and if/when anybody out there takes this class, you will understand why as well. A long gun is just too big and bulky for the type of movement that this certain task/activity demands. Pistols work best.

Also, I don't wanna carry everything under the sun in this bag. In fact, the main reason I am getting this bag is for one of the comments that the instructor made about how he was left at a post to secure it and keep anybody from coming in or out while the team searched a business. He was there for well over an hour and how he wished he woulda had a simple bottle of water and maybe a powerbar or something. I don't plan on going camping with it and I could care less about preparing for the apocolypse and the zombies taking over the world, but it would be nice just to have a few items in case I do get stranded somewhere.

Here's my list of goodies I plan on filling this bag with.

Backup pistol. More than likely, a Glock 23.
Spare mags and perhaps a box of ammo.
Spyderco Tenacious
Gerber 600 multi-tool
Surefire LX2
Spare CR123 batteries
Compact pair of binos
Handcuffs
Pair of gloves
Watch cap
Bottle of water (or two)
Couple of powerbars
Rite In the Rain 4x6 notebook
Pen(s) and Sharpie(s)
Bic lighter
Lightsticks
Small emercency poncho
EMT shears
Small first aid kit
Rubber gloves
Small travel size pack of Kleenex tissues
Small travel size pack of Wet-Ones
Cotton bandana
Small can of OFF!
Lip balm
20' hank of paracord
20' of duct tape wrapped around plastic card
Small personal hygiene kit

As you can see, it looks like a lot, but compared to most guys bags, it really isn't.

Here are my three contenders and I'll describe why I like 'em.

Maxpedition Remora:

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Remora-Gearslinger-2p384.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PylcHXhYC9Y

I like this bag because it doesn't look like a gun bag. In my opinion, the Fatboy/Versipack type of bags just scream "GUN!" when you see 'em. The Remora doesn't seem like a gun pack but rather just a utility bag. It has TONS of space in the main pocket. More than enough room for a pair of 1L size water bottles. Lots of MOLLE and a couple of small pockets to keep small items where you can find 'em. It has two areas for a weapon. One in the main pocket and one on the back under the pad. They are both lined with loop velcro to attach a hook velcro "holster" to it. It also has a nice loop velcro field for morale patches as well as a channel behind the loop field for a fixed blade knife. Great bag! The only bad thing is the weapon areas. More than likely, I would remove the shoulder strap which means, by design, that it has to be stuck in the back into one of the pistol areas. This means I would have to use the main pouch for my weapon which is also where my water bottles would be. That is unacceptable. So while this is a great bag, maybe it's not for me. :disappoin

5.11 Tactical Rush MOAB 6:

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Prod...ackpacks/RUSH-MOAB-6.html#Product_Description

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq_ku0dprzQ&feature=related

This bag is similar to the Maxped Remora, but it's somewhat more square instead of rectangle shaped as well as just a tad bigger. The main pocket is much bigger than that of the Remora and it also opens clamshell style, which can be good as well as bad. I know, right? :ugh2: In the front pouch, this bag has more small admin style of specialty pockets than the Remora which again is good. I tend to carry more little things than big things and I like having specialty sized pockets for certain items. I also like the hidden pouch that I can put my spare pistol in. The Maxped Remora fell short of providing that capability. Unfortunately, the MOAB 6 is a little bigger than what I am wanting, but it is what it is. Hell, who knows - maybe I need a bigger bag anyway. The more I look at this bag, the more I like it.

Hazard4 Tonto Mini Messenger:

http://hazard4.com/products/bags/messenger-bags/tonto

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zSFAmP7UtHI#

Remember the old saying about dynamite coming in small packages? Here's proof! I like this little feller! This little guy is the smallest of the three but it's big enough to hold everything I listed above with room to spare. I also like the pistol pocket on the front instead of in the middle like the 5.11 MOAB 6 or on the very back like the Maxped Remora. Another cool feature on this little guy is the divider in the main compartment. That could keep a bottle of water from crushing a bag of Doritos or something, or just keep two bottles from clanging about. In addition to MOLLE/PALS webbing on the outside, there is also a slip pocket on one side that could accomodate my Spyderco Tencious with my Surefire LX2 clipped on the outside within the webbing. Thataway, I have instant access to two very important tools. I could also put a 22 round .40 caliber Glock magazine there for a fast reload. On the other side is a cocoon style pocket that will accomodate a soda/beer can. I thought that would be a perfect spot for a small first aid kit. Thataway I know where it is and don't hafta search the insides of the bag looking for it. Under the pistol pouch/flap is an awesome admin panel that folds down with a ton of small pockets for small items. All in all, I'm liking this bag more than the other two. We'll see.

So how 'bout you guys? Which one is your favorite and why? Or if you have a favorite, click the "other" option and tell me about your bag. Pics would be a nice touch too! :naughty:

OKWalker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Maxpedition Lunada, it is the next size up from the Ramora and has a more comfortable strap. I like it alot. I think that you would have trouble stuffing all that in a Ramora.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't use mine as a man purse but do have a "sling bag" that works great for my use - fishing and hunting. I've used fly fishing sling bags for 40 years instead of vests. The thing I like about them is that you can easily change out the contents for fly fishing, spin & baitcast gear, use in a kayak, or when I used to bowhunt in Colorado. Very flexible for moving stuff around. One thing that's almost always in the bag is my Beretta Px4 .45 ACP with a blackhawk lanyard in a Crossbreed Ohai modular removable holster. I tried several fly fishing bags and never found just what I needed. One day in H&H I spotted a 5.11 Push Pack and it worked out perfect for my needs (cheaper too.) Since it's a sling bag it slips around to your back and then can easily be moved to the front for any access. I can move the holster (velcro backed) to my kayak and attach the lanyard to it. Holds a lot of stuff including water bottles. Like I said, I don't use it for LE purposes but it works for me.

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Bags-Backpacks/All-Hazards/PUSH-Pack.html
mine is tan.

The Px4 handles snake shot superbly and if I need it in a holster around camp I just detach the lanyard and slip it into my Sourdough Cuda holster.

langston302

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been using the Gen 1 CC BOB for 5 years.....solid as the day I bought it. I think highly of CC gear.

I understand your looking for the perfect bag....I know your pain since I have quested for the same bag for the same reasons you listed.

I ended up building my own out of loose pouches and bags I had laying around.

I carry a long gun since I feel much more comfortable with my rifle, I have made space for a personal med kit, one water bottle, one snack bar one pistol mag, 2 rifle mags, spare flashlight.......I just dont need all the other stuff. I have simplified the bag alot for me. I carry the pens and paper and alot of thew other items on me daily so I saw no need to add to my bag.

but as far as a bag that SEEMS to be closest to what LOOKS like it would work best.....

5.11 BOB. It looks like it has all the right parts in all the right spots.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been using the Gen 1 CC BOB for 5 years.....solid as the day I bought it. I think highly of CC gear.

I understand your looking for the perfect bag....I know your pain since I have quested for the same bag for the same reasons you listed.

I ended up building my own out of loose pouches and bags I had laying around.

I carry a long gun since I feel much more comfortable with my rifle, I have made space for a personal med kit, one water bottle, one snack bar one pistol mag, 2 rifle mags, spare flashlight.......I just dont need all the other stuff. I have simplified the bag alot for me. I carry the pens and paper and alot of thew other items on me daily so I saw no need to add to my bag.

but as far as a bag that SEEMS to be closest to what LOOKS like it would work best.....

5.11 BOB. It looks like it has all the right parts in all the right spots.

I appreciate your input and I'm glad the BOB style like the CC model and the 5.11 model work for you, but I don't care for that particular style. :disappoin

Like I said earlier, I don't use a long gun so those nifty 30 round mag pouches on the outside are just more or less wasted space to me.

I wan't basically a square or rectangular type of bag with the pockets on the inside instead of the multi pockets on the outside that both the CC bag like yours and the 5.11 bag offer. As a matter of fact, I don't know if I would even need any MOLLE attachments because I really don't plan on adding anything MOLLE to the outside. :ugh2:

I know, I know... :rolleyes2 ...picky, picky, picky! :blahblah:

langston302

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I appreciate your input and I'm glad the BOB style like the CC model and the 5.11 model work for you, but I don't care for that particular style. :disappoin Just for reference I only use the CC bag for range days and dont want to spend more money on the 5.11 bag, it just looked like it would work well

Like I said earlier, I don't use a long gun so those nifty 30 round mag pouches on the outside are just more or less wasted space to me.

I wan't basically a square or rectangular type of bag with the pockets on the inside instead of the multi pockets on the outside that both the CC bag like yours and the 5.11 bag offer. As a matter of fact, I don't know if I would even need any MOLLE attachments because I really don't plan on adding anything MOLLE to the outside. :ugh2: Makes total sense. I want speed and ease of use. in all actuality I found that what I ended up using is the best setup I have ever found. It wasnt even designed to be what it is. I ended up using a current issue 3 mag bandolier. added a Maxpediton mag pouch and a molle utility pouch to the strap and it works so well for my purposes. Bags are so user specific. I just gave up trying to find the perfect manufactured bag. I actually started designing a BOB Bandolier that takes up very little space and does not limit movement or get hung up. Looks promising.

I know, I know... :rolleyes2 ...picky, picky, picky! :blahblah:you know what you want and dont want to settle.....I guess I am picky too

Latest posts

Top Bottom