Silver Certificate...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What's the value of a Silver Certificate from 1957? It's not in "great" shape, but there aren't any rips either. Just lots of folds.

Below is an internet pic. This is NOT the actual article but it is in about this same condition.

usrarecurrency.com_WebPgFl_F00000009A_1957ASilverCertificateSnF00000009A.jpg

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't know, but I got two of those in change at the drive through window at Taco Bell not long ago. Made me wonder if they were stolen from a collection or if it was someone who had gotten desperate and had to spend it.

john.beck49

Marksman
Reaction score
I was about to poop my pants when I seen the serial number, then I seen your disclosure.. For a circulated condition of that year, about 2.50 to 3.00 is what I have bought them for. I let my daughter take a few to school to buy her lunches with a couple of times a year hoping another kid will get them as change some day and spark interest. She also likes to take Ike dollars to the mall and watch the teenage store workers try and figure out what they are.. :-)

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They aren't worth much. Some over face value but not a lot. I got one in change at 7-11 about 10 years ago and thought it was counterfeit. It was in pretty good shape and I asked the guy about it and he said "yea it's old". I had never seen one in my life so I kept it. Still have it and will pass it down. It probably won't ever be worth much but it's cool enough to keep around for the grandkids.

gunnut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Gotta read the wording carefully... it's only 1 dollar in silver, not a silver dollar. With the prices of silver these days, it misleads many to think it's worth more.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They aren't worth much. Some over face value but not a lot. I got one in change at 7-11 about 10 years ago and thought it was counterfeit. It was in pretty good shape and I asked the guy about it and he said "yea it's old". I had never seen one in my life so I kept it. Still have it and will pass it down. It probably won't ever be worth much but it's cool enough to keep around for the grandkids.

Yeah, my dad still has one dated 1935 that he carries with him as sort of a good luck charm. 1935 was the year he was born.

Latest posts

Top Bottom