Situational Awareness

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So as I was coming home from lunch, I passed a car exiting my slightly secluded road. Several things were out of place. The vehicle has a go pro mounted on the hood above the grill, it had 2 phones mounted on the dash, and it had Texas plates.

I called the local PD and reported it and asked if they were aware at anything like this happening.

Anyway, is there any reason this would be taking place in a rural area?

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Probably nothing legit. Here is what the google car looks like I have seen around my area.

Attachments

• shutterstock_1401699320-scaled.jpg
    shutterstock_1401699320-scaled.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 80

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
last week i saw two men knocking on a door down the street before starting to wander around the side/back of the house. It's a rear entry garage, so no fences were crossed. They didn't seem too happy when i asked what they were doing. They finally showed me their badges from the state auditor's office, though from the distance away i was i had to ask them which dept. they were with and it took asked 2-3 times before they finally told me.

Being a college town we have lots of folks who leave when the semester is over (which ended before thanksgiving this year). I also know the neighbor has received death threats in the past for his political views and because he (a white guy) is married to a black lady.

TOOF

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve seen a couple Google Maps cars that were just plain jane except a about 6-8” tall sticker declaring Google.
I also drove around intersecting them and shooting the bird as they drove by. I’ll be looking for the updated maps.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So as I was coming home from lunch, I passed a car exiting my slightly secluded road. Several things were out of place. The vehicle has a go pro mounted on the hood above the grill, it had 2 phones mounted on the dash, and it had Texas plates.

I called the local PD and reported it and asked if they were aware at anything like this happening.

Anyway, is there any reason this would be taking place in a rural area?
Strikes me as some sort of YouTube "hero" trying to create content. If they were up to something illegal they would probably not have a camera on the hood to draw attention.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
last week i saw two men knocking on a door down the street before starting to wander around the side/back of the house. It's a rear entry garage, so no fences were crossed. They didn't seem too happy when i asked what they were doing. They finally showed me their badges from the state auditor's office, though from the distance away i was i had to ask them which dept. they were with and it took asked 2-3 times before they finally told me.

Being a college town we have lots of folks who leave when the semester is over (which ended before thanksgiving this year). I also know the neighbor has received death threats in the past for his political views and because he (a white guy) is married to a black lady.
So what does the State auditors office do?

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So what does the State auditors office do?

In this instance they are investigating my neighbor for participating in a 'strike'. He's a professor, and the auditor thinks that his participation in a two-day strike several months back violates a state law prohibiting workers from striking. The guy loves to run his mouth and has pissed off a lot of people, including politicians. They ultimately want to get him fired since they haven't had any luck doing so yet.

Funny thing was, though, the bill they (apparently) were there to serve him was for just under $2k. Of that, almost half was the cost of the investigation. So our state auditor has now spent almost the same amount as he is seeking to recoup and the case likely isn't even over since the statute the auditor is citing is very specific that a person cannot strike to improve their wages or work conditions. In this instance, though, the guy wasn't doing either of those so we will see if the bill for this stuff ends up being higher than the amount they are trying to recoup.

What i realized later, though, was that the explanation for why they were walking around the back of the guy's house didn't hold water. He said they went back there because they saw a car in the garage, but you cannot see the garage until you get behind the house...

Latest posts

Top Bottom