sks questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
do people have any opnions on the tapco detachable mags for them? should i get a universal cleaning kit for the gun if so what caliber cleaning tools should i use i didnt see and 7.62 on the boxes and couldnt find a single brush at academy.
thank you
daniel

RangerRandP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yeah your .30 or .308 brush will work. On the Tapco mags. I have never used one so I cain't speak from experience on them, but I can tell you to stay away fro the 30 round no name mags for it. I have one and it sucks. They feel cheap and won't feed in my rifle.

Personally if you want 20 to 30 rounds per mag. save up and by an AK. The prices are dropping back to normal pretty quick.

I kept my SKS stock with the 10 round fixed mag and bought stripper clips. That way seems faster to me then trying to switch out that awkward duckbill mag.

english kanigit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless you have one of the oddball variants that actually takes AK mags leave the stock 10 rounder in place. I've yet to see a detachable mag setup for the SKS that actually worked reliably. Stripper clips are stupidly cheap and very easy to use.

Most SKS will actually have an integral cleaning kit built into the stock. If yours has the original wooden stock there will be a small round trap door right in the middle of the buttplate. Stick your finger in there. If you feel 'something' in there that's the cleaning kit, push on it and then guide it out of the trapdoor. Dont get your finger caught! The cleaning kit should have a brush, muzzle guide, scraper tool, and pick/punch/cleaning rod cross handle. It is a basic multi function set up and should be enough to get you by.

Google is your friend.

Cheers!

EK

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A couple of things:

1. I believe that some SKS models had nondetachable mags to make them legal to import. If you put a detachable mag on it, you may have an illegal weapon.

2. I would advise you to learn from the start how to properly clean a gun barrel. Never use a steel brush on it; brass or nylon brushes are OK but not needed if you use the right cleaning materials. Similarly; at the minimum use a one piece cleaning rod and not something you screw together that's stored n the buttstock. Preferably you'll use a coated rod, a brass rod or a synthetic rod.

3. Wipe Out, Patch Out and Wipe Out Accelerator are products that work well for brushless bore cleaning. Finish your cleaning with a few patches run through the barrel soaked in Prolix and then a dry patch. This method prevents barrel rusting and you avoid leaving a coating of oil in the barrel which, if you shoot without removing, will cause wild first shots and can even damage a precision barrel.

catPopper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got a small stack of Tapco 20s. Always work. Will "drop free" with bolt mod. Buttstock cleaning kit= POS. Wooden stock may have to be clearanced for OPA mags. Tapco stock GTG.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless you have one of the oddball variants that actually takes AK mags leave the stock 10 rounder in place. I've yet to see a detachable mag setup for the SKS that actually worked reliably. Stripper clips are stupidly cheap and very easy to use.

+1 I've had half a dozen SKS's, and found each of them to work well with the stock magazine and stripper clips. I tried the Tapco mag in a Yugoslavian SKS, and it didn't work at all. If you want a rifle with a detachable box magazine, I'd suggest looking for an AK variant. YMMV!

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thank you guys very much! i was just looking in the future it has a fiberglass stock and is a norinco i want to get a wood one just for nostalgic sake i will keep with the stripper clips, i have cleaned a gun before so i should be ok im gonna go shooting with a friend and he will help me when were done than i should be set. any stores in the metro that will sell stuff for sks or should i wait till the gun show comes around?