sks questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My nephew got a norinco sks and it came with a steel 30 round MAG that would not feed. I bought him a tap co 20 round MAG for his birthday and he is a happy camper, works fine. About $20.00. Cheaper than dirt is your friend for the sks, check out their products and you can also read the reviews about the products other users have posted up. Always read reviews, valuable experience and information can be gotten from them. Sportsman's guide has a lot of goodies also. I will repeat what somebody already said, that it may be illegal to use a large capacity magazine on the sks. I may be wrong, but I think that if you're going to do that, then the gun will have to have some other U.S. made parts on it.

doctruptwn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've heard that the only topco mags that work very well are the 20 rounders. As for any other mags, I have heard to avoid them. I have Rifle Tech 37 round mags for mine and they are guaranted not to jam, and they don't, But they are cost prohibitive at like $90.00 a piece.

BadgerLB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i took my norinco out this weekend since putting the tapco furniture on it and ran the 20 rd mags just fine... the 5 rounder is nice too since it sits nearly flush with the stock... It had a couple of FTF though... stovepiped the last round in most cases.

rodman2112

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What's the deal with that last round? I've got a Saiga that does the same thing with Pro Mag 30 round magazines. Works great till it gets to the last round, then fails to feed.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tapco mags are good. The thing is that you have to modify your factory stock. I personaly prefer the factory mag. Get a 30 cal bore snake from wally world n some bore cleaner n oil n you will be good to go.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if it is a choate tool co stock will i have to modify it?

Honestly I dont know about the combatability of the choate stock. Im sure you can make it work. The deal with the tapco mags is that they are just a hair to thick. They are made this way on purpose so that it is snug and one can fit the mag to the weapon with little slop or play. The directions state to relief the inside walls of where the mag is contacting the stock. No big deal. If I recall right it is in the directions with the mag when purchased. A dreamel or file will do the trick. You will have to disassemble the weapon. It isnt that hard once someone shows you.
The mags might not properly function if it is to tight because of the stock not being relieved causing the follower in the mag to stick. Also you need to make sure that you do not attempt to remove the mag with the bolt in the forward posititon once assembled. It may cause the feed lips of the mag to break seeing as it is made out of plastic. The weapons are not designed to have a removable mag and there are ears on the bottom of the bolt that prevent the mag from being removed. REMEMBER THIS or it will BREAK
I hope this isnt intimidating but some what of a help. The mods are simple and Im sure someone up in the city in the club or a friend that has one can help you dissasemble your sks if you are not famliar with how to. They are fun weapons and I own several different models.
You will most likely be happey with the mag. Check out cheaper than dirts feed backs on them compaired to most. Very very high reviews.
Good luck!

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What's the deal with that last round? I've got a Saiga that does the same thing with Pro Mag 30 round magazines. Works great till it gets to the last round, then fails to feed.

Do the Promags have a last round hold open? That could catch I suppose, or it could just have a weak spring, or a catch in the follower.