Sleeping bag suggestions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drebin

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a good sleeping bag. I would like one that is light and can compress to a small size but still be useable in freezing temps with some clothes on if need be. I don't like bright colors either lets try to keep it earth tone, black or camo colors. Price isn't a huge issue if the quality and features are there but under $200 would be really nice.

Other than what i'm looking for what sleeping bags do you guys use and what do you think of them?

RatTerrier

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For under $200 you can't beat the U.S. military ECWS sleep system:

One of OSA's sponsors sells 'em: http://www.greenbeetlegear.com/us-military-4-piece-modular-sleep-system-brand-new/

Scalable to your environment and rated into the negative temps with the right undergarments.

+1 for these sleepin bags. They compress nicely, light weight and will keep you warm. Opening weekend rifle season, Saturday morning we woke up to frost on the ground, we did have a small tent heater, small as in I was seein my breathe in the tent and sittin right in front of the heater offered little comfort, I was wearin pj pants and a t shirt, I woke up sweatin a couple of times! lol, they work great!

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a slumberjack that's rated to zero. Got it from my dad years ago unsure of the cost. But I I where in the market for another I wouldn't consider anything else. It weighs a little over four lbs. and compresses nicely. I've used it on some late season elk and mule deer pack hunts and always been comfortable.

Drebin

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Some great options in here thanks guys! The one from Green Beetle gear looks nice but its too big and heavy for me. I haven't yet decided but i'm leaning towards the Marmot Arroyo for $195 on Amazon. It says its only good to 30F but the reviews suggest low 20s is fine, if it gets colder i'll layer up in there. The best part about it is its less than 2lbs and compact. I won't need it till the end of February so I still have some time to decide.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of good options, almost too many LOL. Just make sure you compare apples to apples. The GI bag is heavy, if you add up all the components, but if you are going to compare to a 30F civilian bag....then compare the equivalent 30F component of the GI bag only (the Patrol bag, comes in around 2lbs and can be had for $30 or less).

For the same money, the complete GI bag gives you more options. Basically 6 bags for the price of one civvie bag. (Bivy only, Patrol bag only, Intermediate bag only, Patrol/Bivy, Intermediate/Bivy, Patrol/Inter/Bivy).

Latest posts

Top Bottom