Sleeping bag suggestions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razorback01

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had a Cabela's Alaskan Guide model for several years and couldn't imagine camping without one again. Mine is rated for -40F and it's a pretty serious bag, but they make them for warmer ratings. I typically sleep outside under the stars when I camp during the fall/winter/spring fishing trips and it is the best I've seen or heard of. Might be a little more than your listed price range, but the quality is definitely there.

gallk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For under $200 you can't beat the U.S. military ECWS sleep system:

One of OSA's sponsors sells 'em: http://www.greenbeetlegear.com/us-military-4-piece-modular-sleep-system-brand-new/

Scalable to your environment and rated into the negative temps with the right undergarments.

I agree. I have 2 sets of just the green and black bags. I'm in a tent so I didn't need the bivy. I use the green one down to about the high 30's and the black one down to the teens or 20's. they say if you combine them you can go a lot colder but I personally don't go when it's that cold. Each bag packs down pretty small and with a compression bag either one slips in my backpack with room for essentials.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While in the Army, I was lucky enough to work in units that actually understood cold weather operations. We has North Face Cat's Meow bags with lightweight bivi bags for temperate operations and a NF warmer bag (Tangerine dream? Can't recall the name) for really cold weather. I've spent nights out in the open and under poncho hootches in temps below -40 F, and despite my best efforts, froze my ass off. Later, we got Wiggy's double bags, but still when it's really cold, you're gonna get..... Out of the cold and into a shelter or snow cave (If there's any friggin' usable snow).

So much for me sniveling about days gone by- OP, check Sierra Trading Post for a fair selection of bags at better than retail prices and don't forget a ground pad or at least piled up leaves or grass underneath. If you're tall, be sure to get a tall bag. Your feet will get cold if they're pressed into the bottom of the bag. Stick with synthetic fill. Down's a deathtrap if you get stuck out and it gets wet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom