Smart Meters, Yay!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
No, that's what they're called when people jump to wild conclusions about new technology that they don't understand. How would the government be able to find your grow-op easier using only finer granularity of power usage readings? How would that be any easier than, "hey, that guy sure uses a lot of power!" which they can do anyways.

Please tell me what you think the Advanced Metering Infrastructure is now, and will be someday.

He was being sarcastic, homeskillet.

My problem is not the data but how the data is used.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Non-sarcastic answer: this guy has some serious misconceptions about what smart meters do and how they work. He's also conflating smart meters with home automation networking, which is a sort-of related thing that allows users (not power companies) to see how much current each of their appliances draws.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So those devices/limiters that PSO/AEP are offering to install on that turn off people's compressors during peak hours - what are those classified as? This is not a troll, but just curious what they are considered. It's some hybrid of both, IMHO.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So those devices/limiters that PSO/AEP are offering to install on that turn off people's compressors during peak hours - what are those classified as? This is not a troll, but just curious what they are considered. It's some hybrid of both, IMHO.

Wow, they're doing that already? I've heard that thrown around as a possibility for the future but I didn't know they were doing that now. That's where the line blurs a little bit, but I'd say that's still more of a smart grid thing.

I just re-watched this video with some of the Critical Infrastructure Protection crew, one of whom is doing research on smart meters, and we all got a good laugh out of this.

Latest posts

Top Bottom