Smart Meters, Yay!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree again - that is one of the principles I studied in economics. That some monopolies in some instances are the most efficient markets.

While it don't think they are out to get us, it still means they have us by the balls if they so please.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm lost here. The Okla Corp Commission sets the rates. Utility company's can only apply for rate changes.

Yes, they set the rates and the rates can be manipulated either by locals or influenced by the Feds that happened to have the power to impose "cap and trade" type schemes or decide that you use more than your fare share etc.
One common mistake is to allow what appears to be simple inconveniences now, that will be used as the basis for further intrusion. The Bill language right now allow the companies to "share" information. Information that could be used in the future by an insurance or other company for their purposes. I think that too many know too much about me and I don't want the companies to "share" anything more about me.
So, I'd be happy if both the power companies and the Corp commission, knew less about me and didn't have the ability to decide special rates for people.

Last edited:

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You are correct - I misspoke there. But I still cannot go out and shop companies, which is more to my point.

Though I've never had a big beef with any power companies, gas or electric, to date.

Ah yes de-regulation. In 1998 when I built the house I am in, I had to go with PEC as my electric provider, at that time there was alot of talk about de-regulation and if it happened I would then be able to choose my own power company, PEC told me the only way I would get a meter was to sign a 10 year contract, they were that afriad of de-regulation, I had no choice, no sign, find another source for power...de-regulation never happened...

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Want to see what deregulation does, check out California and Texas. California as example is not even able to generate enough electricity to power their own state and has to buy it from other states at alot higher cost, which in turn costs the rate payers even more. They have had rolling blackouts over the years as well.

In my experience the only people that always scream about electric companies being a monopoly are the ones that dont pay their bills and then when the electric company is forced to shut off the service then they want to use another electric company. Like any other company will let you not pay your bill. The rates are set by the utility and have to be approved by the OCC before they can stay in effect. The franchise elections I think are every 25 years, those elections are city by city and basically vote to allow a particular utility to provide service to that city. if the residents of the city dont want a particualr utility to provide service they can vote no and have another uitlity come in, only bad is the start up costs would be astronomical for another utility to come in and take over.

Once again though, people assume that utility companies just have to continue to provide services without any regard to being profitable so any time a company comes out with ways to make sure we can not only take care of our customer, but also make a profit and not have to require undue rate increases onto the customers.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dennishoddy
This statement is not correct. Each city in Ok gets to vote on their provider. Its every 10 years.

ROFLMFAO...

Really? So if the people of OKC decide to dump OG&E then what happens? Seriously. What happens?

The reality is it isn't gonna ever happen but if it did...

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ROFLMFAO...

Really? So if the people of OKC decide to dump OG&E then what happens? Seriously. What happens?

The reality is it isn't gonna ever happen but if it did...

Typically the utility on the way out would sell their assets to the utility on the way in. It isn't really cost effective for the new utility to build new stuff and it isn't cost effective for the old utility to maintain the old stuff without it generating any revenue.

That's how I understand it. It really doesn't matter who your utility provider is. The OCC sets the rates. I could only see a community changing carriers because of lack of response to widespread outages. I've seen the restoration madness at OGE first hand a number of times and I'm glad they're turning my lights back on and not the co-op. Those guys bust their backsides to get our lights back on until they are back on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom