Smoking Chirstmas Dinner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love my iGrill....

As do I! I just picked this up yesterday at Sam's on sale for $79 and it came with 4 probes. Cheapest I've seen them. I wanted to see how flat the temp would run in my BGE on a long low & slow cook and it did fantastic. I put it in right at 7:00 and cleared the "warmup" data immediately after I loaded the brisket so what you are seeing here is the start of the actual cook without the warmup and loading. It stayed between 230 and 250 all night long and my brisket was the best I've ever cooked. I used to have a Cookshack so that's saying something! This iGrill2 helped with that. I checked it at 185 and it was close, at 190 the flat probed tender and juice just poured out of it. I knew I had a winner. Several people told me that I had bested myself. I did a pretty mean brisket in my Cookshack.

Me too! Only have the single probe model, but its worth its weight in gold when it comes to grilling/smoking. the probe drops through the smoke hole on the cookshack, monitors the grease in my fish fryer, and today monitored the walnut crusted baked salmon that was in the oven.

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I busted out my OK Joe smoker this Xmas too. Since it was 5* out when I started (Alaska's fun), I fired the smoker at 9pm for pre-heat and tossed the brisket on just before 11pm. Due to the cold, I was chasing temp quite a bit through the night. I also bought an iGrill2 before cooking and it was a huge help. I just dozed on the couch until it squwaked at me when the temp dropped. I stumbled out the back door, tossed another log on and grabbed another 1-1.5 hr of sleep before being stirred by the machine. The cold weather made for a slow smoke, so we ate at 7pm on Christmas.

I ran this smoker several times in cool weather in OK with no issues, but single digit temps are pretty unforgiving when the fire dies down. It wasn't my best smoke job, but it was my best brisket I've done. The saving grace is it's not windy up here. I didn't have to battle so much as a slight breeze.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As do I! I just picked this up yesterday at Sam's on sale for $79 and it came with 4 probes. Cheapest I've seen them. I wanted to see how flat the temp would run in my BGE on a long low & slow cook and it did fantastic. I put it in right at 7:00 and cleared the "warmup" data immediately after I loaded the brisket so what you are seeing here is the start of the actual cook without the warmup and loading. It stayed between 230 and 250 all night long and my brisket was the best I've ever cooked. I used to have a Cookshack so that's saying something! This iGrill2 helped with that. I checked it at 185 and it was close, at 190 the flat probed tender and juice just poured out of it. I knew I had a winner. Several people told me that I had bested myself. I did a pretty mean brisket in my Cookshack.

That is a good price, I have the 4 probe, with just 2 probes, need to order 2 more probes...

I bought a clip on Amazon that attaches to a grill, lets me use one probe for the box temp in the CS. I discovered that the dial settings on my CS are a bit off from real temp. Best brisket I've done so far was keeping the box temp close to 230. Also make sure you let the brisket rest and watch the temp as you do.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LP7ZPH0?keywords=grill clip&qid=1451222536&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Smoked my first turkey this Christmas, was really happy with how it turned out. I've smoked a lot of chickens but never a turkey. Brined it for 24 hours first, then on the cheap Cajun injector chicken cooker (basically a barrel, similar to an ugly drum smoker). Was quite apprehensive with how it was going to turn out but it was fantastic!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
once I smoked our first turkey, it only way my daughters like it.

Smoked my first turkey this Christmas, was really happy with how it turned out. I've smoked a lot of chickens but never a turkey. Brined it for 24 hours first, then on the cheap Cajun injector chicken cooker (basically a barrel, similar to an ugly drum smoker). Was quite apprehensive with how it was going to turn out but it was fantastic!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Best turkey we have ever had was one brined. Never had one from the smoker brined, but I'd like to try one brined and deep fried.

Latest posts

Top Bottom