So I had Jury duty this week

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And fortunately I wasn't picked in this case...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/oklahoma-woman-guilty-of-killing-daughter-with-crucifix/

OKLAHOMA CITY -- A jury in Oklahoma has convicted a woman of killing her 33-year-old daughter by forcing a crucifix and medallion down her throat because she believed the daughter was possessed by the devil.

Juanita Gomez, 51, was found guilty of first-degree murder Thursday in the 2016 death of Geneva Gomez.

Geneva Gomez's boyfriend found her lying on the ground inside her mother's Oklahoma City home with her arms spread out as if she had been crucified. She was bloody and nearly unrecognizable, with a large crucifix placed on her chest and severe trauma to her face and head, police said.

Juanita Gomez allegedly admitted to punching her daughter repeatedly and forcing the religious symbols down the victim's throat until blood came out of the woman's mouth.

Gomez allegedly told police that she watched her daughter die and then placed her body in the shape of a cross. She then tried to clean her daughter and other items in the home, according to police.

Police noted that Juanita Gomez had very swollen hands and several bruises on her arms. She allegedly told police they were from her daughter fighting, during the attempt to "rid Satan from her daughter's body."

A psychologist found her competent to stand trial and said she was feigning memory problems to appear incompetent.

Gomez's murder trial began this month, reports CBS affiliate KWTV. Jurors saw gruesome images of the victim's body as her mother reportedly cried. Jurors also heard emotional testimony from Francisco Merlos, the boyfriend who found the victim's body, and heard his frantic 911 call.

Jurors recommended a sentence of life in prison without parole.

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dang, I have it in 2 weeks, hoping I don't get on something crazy

I had never been. I didn't know what to expect. I certainly didn't expect to be put in a room with, it seemed, 1,000 other people...

Parking sucks! I used the Arts District Parking Garage @431 w main.

They're putting in a trolley downtown and construction eff's everything up.

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Dang, I have it in 2 weeks, hoping I don't get on something crazy
Is it for Tulsa County? I had it a couple years ago. TC batches their cases which sucks because you have to stay until they have all dockets filled. So if you don’t get selected then you go back down to the pool
And see if they need you in another case. If your case finishes early, then you go back down into the pool until all dockets are filled. I was in on an insanely boring civil case that finished the first day. I thought I was off the hook, then I had to sit in the basement for another 2 days waiting to see you f I was needed in another case. I was not... I couldn’t imagine being in a case that lasts a week or two.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I sat in on one where the jury selection alone lasted 5 days. Luckily the trucking company settled on the last day. Weird, sad, story. No lie, it was concerning a truck load of Lifesavers that overturned on a highway and crushed a kid in a VW.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is it for Tulsa County? I had it a couple years ago. TC batches their cases which sucks because you have to stay until they have all dockets filled. So if you don’t get selected then you go back down to the pool
And see if they need you in another case. If your case finishes early, then you go back down into the pool until all dockets are filled. I was in on an insanely boring civil case that finished the first day. I thought I was off the hook, then I had to sit in the basement for another 2 days waiting to see you f I was needed in another case. I was not... I couldn’t imagine being in a case that lasts a week or two.
Yes Tulsa county. Hopefully it's not too bad

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been to one trial for an assault case. Really surprised I was selected for trial because I was still commissioned at the time. The next was the state suing an old lady for a portion of her land. I got thrown out early when the judge told everyone what the case was about and I raised my hand and said I protested the state taking anything from an old lady.

Then I was called to Federal court. I didn’t even make it to jury interview that time. I was sitting on the back row about to doze off before the judge and counsel came in and the clerk came in and tapped me on the shoulder and said I was excused.

Latest posts

Top Bottom