So much for absolute reliability!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you remember the poll that asked about what you felt like was the most reliable handgun right out of the box? The poll that asked that if you had to pick a gun off a shelf at a shop and count on it to work, which would it be? Without dredging that poll up, I have to believe that Glock was voted among, if not the, most likely to be totally reliable out of the box.

Fast forward to today, I bought another G23 from H&H this afternoon. It's a factory new, bone stock, third generation Glock 23. I decided to put a quick 100 rounds through it while I was there, so I bought a couple of boxes of Winchester White Box in a 180gr FMJ flavor and headed to my assigned lane. During the very first magazine fired, at approximately the four or five round mark, I experienced a double feed. The gun was brand new, I was shooting ammo of questionable quality, and I had not bothered to clean it. My confidence in the gun is not in question and I'm not the least bit worried about it. I actually giggled and remembered that poll as I cleared the malfunction and kept firing. In one hundred rounds fired, that was the only malfunction. Granted, in around 6,000 rounds through my G22, it has never failed to function. Still, malfunctions do happen and I kept stacking the deck towards a malfunction by shooting cheap ammo through a pistol that had never been cleaned, much less broken in. I will clean it thoroughly tonight and after every other time I shoot it, and I expect that it will go thousands of rounds before the next failure.

I just thought it was funny that everyone's favorite pistol for reliability did not, in fact, work right out of the box.

For the record, I voted Beretta 92FS/M9 in the poll.

Rob

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just goes to show nothings 100%. Even though my Glock 22 has been 100% for a few thousand rounds. I expect it to fail sometime. Its ironic that everyone claims 100% reliability with revolvers, but they have failures like anything else.

RobC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think that it is a bad apple, just that I had a hiccup, as you put it, that could easily be attributed to several external factors.

Ordinarily I would not have even bothered to post about it, but I was reminded of that poll. I suspect that this Glock will be as reliable as every one that I own now and have ever owned in the past.

Rob

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Out of the box Glocks with no cleaning or lubrication and the copper grease still in place have been known to malf. That's not really indicative of it's reliability IMO.

RobC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I am thinking that I should have put one of those little 'smilies' in the title to denote the tongue-and-cheek nature of this thread. I'm happy with the gun and not the least bit concerned about the malfunction.

Rob

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Out of the box Glocks with no cleaning or lubrication and the copper grease still in place have been known to malf. That's not really indicative of it's reliability IMO.

I've bought many new Glocks and never had an out of the box failure.I've never cleaned the grease off,I heard it was a sort of "lapping compound"and was to be left in place. Steve

RobC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just thoroughly cleaned Ol' Trusty. Everything looked as it should. I would bet money that I don't see a malfunction for the next few thousand rounds, particularly since I clean my guns every time they are fired, and periodically even when they are not.

Rob

LtCCMPUnit42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just goes to show nothings 100%. Even though my Glock 22 has been 100% for a few thousand rounds. I expect it to fail sometime. Its ironic that everyone claims 100% reliability with revolvers, but they have failures like anything else.

While I have to admit, NOTHING is 100% reliable, How many stove pipes, double feeds, short slides, or non slide closures have you cleared, compaired to wheel gun malfunctions, like backed out primers, or cylinder lock failure?

Latest posts

Top Bottom