Solar Roads?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perfor8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Somebody thought that because there aren't solar panels on the roads currently it must be a new idea. It's not a new idea; it's an old idea that clear thinkers reject quickly.

Literally every land-based sunlit place in the U.S.A. is better suited for solar panels than roadways. Building a superstructure awning OVER all the roads to carry the panels would be a better idea. Replacing your lawn with panels would be a better idea because it doesn't have the traffic complications and you could cease burning fossil fuels to mow.

You can't name a place that's a worse idea than the roadways - that's how bad the idea is. The Federal Government is probably excited and spending my tax money for grants to study the concept and determine feasibility - that's how bad the idea is.

Last edited:

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somebody thought that because they're aren't solar panels on the roads currently it must be a new idea. It's not a new idea; it's an old idea that clear thinkers reject quickly.

Literally every land-based sunlit place in the U.S.A. is better suited for solar panels than roadways. Building a superstructure awning OVER all the roads to carry the panels would be a better idea. Replacing your lawn with panels would be a better idea because it doesn't have the traffic complications and you could cease burning fossil fuels to mow.

You can't name a place that's a worse idea than the roadways - that's how bad the idea is. The Federal Government is probably excited and spending my tax money for grants to study the concept and determine feasibility - that's how bad the idea is.

Just came back from working in Indiana surveying roads. Solar panels wouldn't work on a lot of roads up there. There are a bunch of roads that are so tree-lined that they wouldn't produce much electricity. Not that solar produces that much anyway.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
New Mexico has huge solar farms. Some covering many acres. The panels rotate on their axis to follow the sun during the day. Almost every small community has one and a lot of folks live off grid in that state. I mean a lot. You'll see camper or a small home out in the high country deserts with an outhouse about 50 yards out back and some 10' X 10' or larger solar panels out front. I have to assume they have batteries and inverters in the house/camper.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
New Mexico has huge solar farms. Some covering many acres. The panels rotate on their axis to follow the sun during the day. Almost every small community has one and a lot of folks live off grid in that state. I mean a lot. You'll see camper or a small home out in the high country deserts with an outhouse about 50 yards out back and some 10' X 10' or larger solar panels out front. I have to assume they have batteries and inverters in the house/camper.

The occupant probably plays a banjo.

Beware....

Latest posts

Top Bottom