Solar Roads?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
in both cases money was earned. How about applying the exercise to someone who pays no taxes, and receives the benefit of my tax dollars for simply being in the position of earning less than me.

Actually I did. My example of helping a friend who loaned you money.

That said, I do not see anyone here actually arguing that whrther we call it a tax credit or subsidy, however they view each, results in the finances of the O&G companies we were discussing being any different either way, so it seems a moot point. We can agree to disagree on the terminology without it changing the end result.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like the difference between murder and justifiable homicide. Just semantics, the result is the same.

Hell, i dont even know what were discussing to be honest. I just saw some interesting posts on this page and wanted to join in.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it was privately funded they would be "doing it the right way" and I would wholeheartedly support that but...

Using grants from the U.S. Federal Highway Administration, the Brusaws have already built a 4-metre-by-11-metre parking lot using the glass-covered panels.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/05/30/solar-roadways-indiegogo_n_5416811.html

Seems the crowdfunding concept just went out the window, just wait until the technology "just needs some further research" and .gov will come running to the rescue.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it was privately funded they would be "doing it the right way" and I would wholeheartedly support that but...

Seems the crowdfunding concept just went out the window, just wait until the technology "just needs some further research" and .gov will come running to the rescue.

Not all government investment is bad. I enjoy the internet and am glad my father beat cancer thanks to advancements in cancer research. Both are are/were govt funded projects.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not all government investment is bad. I enjoy the internet and am glad my father beat cancer thanks to advancements in cancer research. Both are are/were govt funded projects.

Agreed. Really I do agree. There is a role in certain cases. I just don't see the need in this case. Besides we are broke man!

Grindstone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let's get real; straight research has never received much in the way of funding from the private sector, ever. Especially when there's no profit motive. What's the profit behind sending a man to the moon? That was a huge expenditure, funded by the government, yet it is humanity's greatest achievement yet.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like the difference between murder and justifiable homicide. Just semantics, the result is the same.

Hell, i dont even know what were discussing to be honest. I just saw some interesting posts on this page and wanted to join in.

I'm glad you did! I enjoy friendly debates where everyone contributes ideas and no one takes diaagreement personally.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seems like we can agree on the broke part. I think it could be worth researching and you don't. Seems like a good agreement to have differing view points :-).

Oh no, don't misunderstand. I probably didn't convey well, I'm really good at that, but I just don't see the research being funded by the taxpayer.

Now if you want to talk about subsidizing CNG/LNG fueling infrastructure, that I could get on board with. The technology already exists, we have a couple hundred years of supply (and growing daily) and it's vastly cleaner. If I were a politician I'd push it as the next "Manhattan Project". If the public was good with it, I'd even go with a $0.01 per gge fuel tax and "lockbox" it for research on solar, hydrogen, etc. See there, it's really not hard to work stuff out between differing views.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

The ironic part about this comment is that it is government that requires pharmaceutical companies to spend billions and take years to develop those drugs...thank you Food and Drug Administration and your regulations. Do the companies get enough in grants to make that investment balance out?

Personally, I think government ought to get out of a lot of industries, especially with regard to always adding more regulations. Can you believe that the EPA wants to fine farmers for creating dust? How does one farm on a large scale without doing that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom