Some thoughts about using an AR15 for home defense

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone modified their AR15 to be optimized for self defense at short range?
Current AR15s generally have a 1/7 to 1/9 twist rate. That stabilizes the bullets for long range shooting. The originals have a 1/12 twist rate so the bullets were less stable and would tumble on impact. So, at short range, 1/12 twist would have better terminal characteristics.

The other problem is muzzle blast/noise. If the 5.56x45 were downloaded to 2000 fps out of the barrel - more or less the normal velocity at 300 yds. - I think it'd still be pretty effective. Muzzle blast would still be pretty loud, but greatly reduced. That would be more energy than the 5.7x28 and, with the right bullet choice, could be an exceptional defensive weapon.

Then again maybe I'm just nuts thinking this way.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do t worry about muzzle blast, and in the home I don't think you're worried about if the bullet is stable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

FreeSpiritBalloon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting thoughts. How heavy would the bullet have to be to reliably cycle or would you use a lighter buffer spring? An SBR and silencer would be ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Heavier bullets work best for short ranges I would think. My uncle's officer involved shooting was short range, no expansion out of the ammo (xm193), said the exit wounds look like a pencil hole. Short barrel suppressed would obviously be best, but I know of others, and am thinkin of doing the same, putting my electronic ear pro with my rifle.

ETA, the guy he shot was just determined to be competent to stand trial and eligible for execution.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any firearm going off in the home is going to be loud and probably cause permanent hearing damage. At the time of the incident your hearing will likely go into auditory exclusion and you won't remember anything until the ringing in the ears after the fact.
Bigfugs suggestion of using electronic ear muffs at the night stand is the likely answer if a silencer isn't on the rifle or pistol.
I keep a set of electronic ear muffs on the passenger side of my vehicles if nobody is sitting there. Somebody mentioned on here awhile back that in a road rage incident where you can't get away, just the act of putting on some ear muffs may very well calm down the mad person, and if not and goes further down hill, at least your hearing is protected.
I took that as good advice, and have done it ever since.
Round? if it were me, I'd be looking at a bullet designed to take varmints that is frangible. It tends to expand inside the animal violently, fragment and not cause a pass through in a lot of cases.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Probably the best option is .300 BLK in a suppressed SBR using subsonic frangible bullets. If I was going to slow down .22 caliber bullets might just as well go with 5.7x28.Or just go with a pistol caliber carbine.

As for hearing protection I'm about to get my first set of hearing aids. A bonus feature of that is they are also electronic noise limiters.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Probably the best option is .300 BLK in a suppressed SBR using subsonic frangible bullets. If I was going to slow down .22 caliber bullets might just as well go with 5.7x28.Or just go with a pistol caliber carbine.

As for hearing protection I'm about to get my first set of hearing aids. A bonus feature of that is they are also electronic noise limiters.
Only problem with aids that limit noise, like most do to some extent, is that you have to close the battery cap, and wait for them to boot up. It can take precious seconds.

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't think an AR would make the most effective HD weapon. Unless you lived in the country or on an acre or two and could see a situation in which you were needing to shoot 30-50+ yards out. While it's an effective round most HD situations would be well within shotgun or pistol range... with the added size, weight and bulk of an AR over a pistol. I think the cons would out weigh the pros. A pistol allows you to move about the home with greater ease, keeping a hand free to open doors, carry a flashlight, a cellphone, a kid... while still being able to effectively fire and defend yourself. A shotgun is just point and shoot. A suppressed SBR 300 BO could give you versatility especially if you feel you'd be having to shoot distance to protect yourself. Now an SBR subgun could be an interesting twist. Like the MPX, Kriss Vector, EVO S3.

Latest posts

Top Bottom