Some thoughts about using an AR15 for home defense

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my house 15 yards would be the EXTREME distance I could shoot. 10yds would be more likely. I need to pattern my new shotgun.

While I do have a 12ga pump with 7 or 8 rounds of 00 buck in the closet, it's not my primary HD gun. I keep a Glock 19 with 31rd mag on the night stand, and a 8.5in AR pistol in .300 blk leaning against the nightstand. Both have tac lights mounted.

The Federal FC 00 or #1B is the way to go.

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From the article :
" A while back I wrote an article stating that handguns are best for home defense. I stand by that conclusion. But there are some damned good reasons why having an AR-15 propped up against the nightstand can be a better bet than a bedside pistol . . . "

So, the author uses a handgun.
He speaks of accuracy. My G17 has an endo stock adapter, Shockwave blade, and RMR. It's every bit as accurate indoors. And it is suppressed.
He speaks of capacity. I use 33 round G18 mags
He says the rifle is a better club. I agree.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Learn to use the gun you have. will not make much difference then what you are shooting.
The 55gr V-Max will expand at short ranges from a rifle.
I have shot many critters stuck in my traps at 2 feet distance and I will assure you there is great expansion.
Great expansion from the 69gr Tipped match king also at 2 feet.

If bad guy is being shot at he will head the other direction unless he is on some wicked drug.

But if you are excellent with the firearm of your choice he will only be heading down to the floor.
Decide what distances inside your home you will be shooting and practice at those distances.

Rifle, shotgun or pistol it will not matter much if you hit the correct spot or spots.
1 #6 pellet from a shotgun that pierces the wind pipe will make the bad guy gasp for air. Get one of them in an eyeball see what the bad guy does.

If you get snuck up on while sleeping it would be nice if you had a pistol under the pillow or somewhere where you could keep your hands under the blankets and retrieve the pistol and shoot the bad guy through the blankets.

We have squeaky door hinges on the house.. they do not get oiled.. also have a full glass storm door on front with deadbolt on it.
Going to make racket getting in.
Then there is a small wind chime that rattles as you open the squeaky front door.

Coming up the squeaky stairs. you will not make it far.
You will need to break glass to enter my home..

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's a little much don't you think? How about something more sedate, like .50 AE? Didn't Tromix make .50 AE ARs at one time? I sure wish I could have tried one of those.

I have a 50 Beowulf AR, and the ballistics are somewhat akin to the early 45-70 Gov't round. Big, slow, heavy. At 25 yards, a JHP round will obliterate a QT cup-sized block of ice. I have videos on my iPad, but this forum doesn't like Apple videos, and I haven't gotten around to posting them on a file sharing site.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reposting here just for fun :D

17910983_1492925450752679_1362748096_n.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom