Someone needs to post an informative thread on Short Barrel Rifle guidelines...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not eloquent like G2Go. I know the rules on building.
I've seen this SBR STUFF several times in the last couple weeks on my wifes facebook friends and on here.
I just don't want anyone to to get FPMITA prison for having fun.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's the point. Nobody will read them. This is a golden opportunity to create an USATF username and post an I will take it.

Or FPMITA-Warden something funny like that.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
True. An OVERALL length of 16". But if it's not pinned and welded or soldered, it's still a NO GO.

Just because XYZ AR parts house sells 10.5", 12",14.5" barrels, does not make it "LEGAL" to build in to that length config rifle without the proper tax stamps, configurations(no buttstock, pistol config) or whatever.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Re: BCM BFH 14.5 Mid Length
Q: Does the installation of a barrel over 16 inches in length (SBR) or 18 inches in length (SBS) remove the firearm from the purview of the NFA? If so, is this considered a permanent change?
Installation of a barrel greater than 16 inches in length (SBR) or 18 inches in length (SBS) will remove the firearm from the purview of the NFA provided the registrant does not maintain control over the parts necessary to reconfigure the firearm as a SBR or SBS.

Q: I possess a properly registered SBR or SBS. I intend to strip the receiver and remove the barrel prior to selling the receiver. Is the bare receiver still subject to regulation under the NFA as a SBR or SBS?
A stripped receiver without a barrel does not meet the definition of a SBR or SBS under the NFA. Although the previously registered firearm would remain registered unless the possessor notified the NFA Branch of the change, there is no provision in statute or regulation requiring registration of a firearm without a barrel because its physical characteristics would make it only a GCA “firearm” pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(3)(B). If the subsequent owner buys the receiver as a GCA firearm and installs a barrel less than 16 inches in length (SBR) or 18 inches in length (SBS), the firearm would be subject to a $200 making tax and registration under the NFA by the manufacturer or maker of the SBR or SBS. Because registration depends upon the stated intent of the applicant, there is no provision to allow registration of a NFA firearm by anyone other than the maker or manufacturer.

Q: What is the registered part of a Short Barreled Rifle (SBR) or Short Barreled Shotgun (SBS)?
While a receiver alone may be classified as a “firearm” under the Gun Control Act (GCA), SBRs and SBSs are classified in totality under the National Firearms Act (NFA). A firearm that meets the definition of a SBR consists of a rifle that has a barrel less than 16 inches in length. A SBS consists of a shotgun that has a barrel less than 18 inches in length. The serialized receiver is recorded for registration in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record (NFRTR).

Latest posts

Top Bottom