Someone needs to post an informative thread on Short Barrel Rifle guidelines...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem with your thinking is that the people that know about SBR would look there.
People that don't know any better just need a little education.

And I would hope people looking for this kind of info would dig a little deeper than the "General Discussion" section.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to go with Hump on this, with one small caveat. The rifle forum would be a good place to emphasize the 16" and longer length as legal for non NFA rifles.

Jack T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CAR-AR-15 knows all about this stuff. Common sense isint so common anymore i guess.

You're talking about ATF regs. . .common sense has exactly zero to do with it! It's like trying to justify IRS rulings!

I've been in this game for a long time, and haven't heard of one single stand-alone SBR conviction. Add on charges, yes. Stand along conviction? No.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're talking about ATF regs. . .common sense has exactly zero to do with it! It's like trying to justify IRS rulings!

I've been in this game for a long time, and haven't heard of one single stand-alone SBR conviction. Add on charges, yes. Stand along conviction? No.

I had a friend of mine in Fort Smith, AR who was charged with having an unregistered SBR. This was back in 1991. He was going thru a nasty divorce and the soon to be ex-wife called ATF and turned him in. They arrived and she let them in to the house where she showed them his 11.5" AR. Gun was confiscated and he was charged. Charges were eventually dropped, but he didn't get the gun back and he was out $7000.00 in lawyer fees. YMMV

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a friend of mine in Fort Smith, AR who was charged with having an unregistered SBR. This was back in 1991. He was going thru a nasty divorce and the soon to be ex-wife called ATF and turned him in. They arrived and she let them in to the house where she showed them his 11.5" AR. Gun was confiscated and he was charged. Charges were eventually dropped, but he didn't get the gun back and he was out $7000.00 in lawyer fees. YMMV

Why did they drop the charges? Just curious.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why did they drop the charges? Just curious.

I honestly don't know. They had nothing else on him. I just don't think that ATF finds it worthwile to prosecute for only that offense. Like others have said, if he had used it in a crime or was caught with a meth lab or something else, then it would have been an additional charge. Or maybe he just had a really good lawyer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom