Something Texas did right.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
it's not a matter of him being illegal or not, nor is it about levels of immunity. The issue at the heart of the matter was whether he was denied his rights under the Vienna Convention because the local authorities failed to tell him he was entitled to consult his consulate for legal assistance.

Many perceive it as an issue of state's rights vs. international treaties. Does Texas, or any other state, have to abide by international agreements that the US has entered into.

The "think of the children" argument being made is will this open US citizens up to similar treatment when arrested abroad.

But that were never put into law by congress.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's also worth noting that the SCOTUS ruled that the possibility of the US following the Vienna Conventions accords in the future (which we do not currently) is irrelevant to the trial that found him guilty.

Good on the 5 Justices who said that International treaties should not affect crimes committed and tried and punished under a state's singular law.

Shame on the 4 Justices who assert that a possible future legislative act that simply brings the country in compliance with an international rights treatise somehow might usurp longstanding and constitutional State criminal laws that held this monster responsible for his acts.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, for the record George W. favored the original trial (and other cases) decisions be overruled and remanded due to the specific issue of consular rights being violated. Shame on him too, pandering for votes at the expense of honor and respect for judicial process.

Neil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pity the next American prosecuted in Mexico or Guatemala and is denied the right to contact the U.S. State Department for assistance.

How 'bout you don't go to any third-world rat holes if you don't have to? If you know better and go anyway, then you deserve what's coming to you. What's so hard about that?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How 'bout you don't go to any third-world rat holes if you don't have to? If you know better and go anyway, then you deserve what's coming to you. What's so hard about that?

Some folks don't have an option about what rat-hole, piece of crap, third world, they HAVE to go to.

There is no option.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pity the next American prosecuted in Mexico or Guatemala and is denied the right to contact the U.S. State Department for assistance.

I understood that he wasn't denied, but rather he wasn't advised he could seek, consular assistance. Two distinct differences, though who knows which of the two statements is accurate. I wouldn't trust the media reports to clarify accurately.

Latest posts

Top Bottom