Son got his first!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My main goal this season was to put my son on his first deer. He paid his dues with numerous sits in cold, wet, windy weather with no luck. Land around us is heavily pressured during gun season and deer were hunkered down. It got so bad i started taking another gun in the stand to let him shoot some squirrels with. The boy can bust beer bottles at 50 yards with a .22 but couldnt hit a squirrel for nothing! LOL. He was practically hyperventilating he would get so excited about the shot!! I'm thinking how in the world will he react to trying to kill a deer. Well I checked him out of school a little early yesterday and we headed for the double ladder for the last couple of hrs of daylight. I brought the 300 blackout and the .410 for squirrels! Figured he couldnt miss with that. Well, I was wrong, he promptly missed a squirrel at 20yds with it!!! By this time he is very disappointed in his shooting ability and I'm beginning to wonder if he subconsciously just doesn't want to kill anything. About 15 minutes later a few does come by, caught a whiff of us and spook a bit. We are both disappointed at that. fifteen minutes later I see movement in the woods and deer headed to a corn pile I have out about 40 yards from the stand, before we know it we have 10 deer in view at the pile, I've already switched guns and gotten him in position and he tells me he has the crosshairs on ones shoulder. I notice that strangely he is real calm, no shaking or heavy breathing. I ease the hammer back and ask him if he is still on her and he whispers yes. I tell him to take the shot and he fires her off. I see the deer hunch and she runs about 25 yards and stops, just standing there flicking her tail a bit and I'm thinking "fall, please fall"!!! After a few seconds she hits the ground and the celebration begins, I took a video of him right after she fell and its priceless. The boy is pumped and cannot quit talking!!!! Lol. We took our time and enjoyed every minute of the experience. I was particularly impressed with the respect he showed for her when we walked up. We thanked God for her and took a ton of pics. One of the best experiences of my life. Way before I was married and that boy was even born I would dream about sharing a first deer experience with my son. God is truly a good God!!!
romans first deer.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom