Son just got picked up....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He is 20 years old . Just joined the navy not long ago, and is supposed to leave for basic in October. I hope this doesn't ruin that.

If memory serves this is going to be a big big problem. It may cost him opportunity to serve. Better call the recruiter and let them know what happened. When I was in any alcohol related offense was really frowned upon. Up to and including discharge from service.

It's been years since I was in. The recruiter should know more.

Sorry man!

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my day most folks were less likely to question a judge. You did it regardless of his ability to enforce such a condition.
Well, thank heavens people are now holding government officials to the proper limits of their authority. The last thing we need is governmental actors with (effectively) unchecked power.

}BuLL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He is 20 years old . Just joined the navy not long ago, and is supposed to leave for basic in October. I hope this doesn't ruin that.
Call Hunsucker 231-5600, my friend Doug is a lawyer there, but is on vacation for a few days. They have other lawyers that can help for an immediate need.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
IMHO, It's all a family issue at this point. The damage is done, how all of you come together to solve the short, near and long term effects is what matters at this moment. Letting him sit a few days may be an option for you, some might bail him out immediately. Without a definitive knowledge of your interpersonal relationships it is impossible to give good solid advice. At 20 years of age the human mind is still developing and control of impulses and decision-making is not generally complete until 23 years old or so. That said, I am in no way advocating leniency or disregard of his actions, just an understanding that although he knew beyond a shadow of a doubt not to drink and drive, he potentially lacks the impulse control to form the proper cognitive thought to establish the hard limits required to decisively act on what he knows.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This would be strictly illegal for a recruiter to even suggest or take part in.

As others have said, he needs to tell his recruiter, as soon as he gets out. When I was an Army Recruiter, I would of had to drop him out of delayed entry. Then when he got everything cleared up, he would of had to request a waiver for his DUI. If he got a waiver, his jobs would of been limited due to the inability to get a security clearance.
However, if it was a DWI it would not of hurt much other than a delay until the ticket was cleared up.

This idea would of and has ruined a lot of careers for even trying to suggest that a guy join to get out of legal trouble. The closest I ever got to this was, I had a DA call and verify that a young man was joining the Army as a reason to drop a speeding ticket.

That's why I said what I did about it being a LONG time ago and I don't know how it is now. And just so you know "illegal" things happen every day in law offices, court rooms, judge's chambers and recruiters' offices all around this country, probably several times a day, if I had to take an educated guess, just based on personal experience.

What I do know personally all this "illegal" activity changed several young men's lives for the better. Just because it is "illegal" doesn't mean it's not the right thing to do.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMHO, It's all a family issue at this point. The damage is done, how all of you come together to solve the short, near and long term effects is what matters at this moment. Letting him sit a few days may be an option for you, some might bail him out immediately. Without a definitive knowledge of your interpersonal relationships it is impossible to give good solid advice. At 20 years of age the human mind is still developing and control of impulses and decision-making is not generally complete until 23 years old or so. That said, I am in no way advocating leniency or disregard of his actions, just an understanding that although he knew beyond a shadow of a doubt not to drink and drive, he potentially lacks the impulse control to form the proper cognitive thought to establish the hard limits required to decisively act on what he knows.

All of that right there is the ONLY reason my boys made it to 20. They ALL knew better than the stupid **** they did. If it hadn't been for the fact I realised how easy it is to make the wrong decisions WELL into your 20s (from personal experience, I must admit), I'd have drowned every one of them in the toilet when we got home from "the facilities" they each got to visit.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's why I said what I did about it being a LONG time ago and I don't know how it is now. And just so you know "illegal" things happen every day in law offices, court rooms, judge's chambers and recruiters' offices all around this country, probably several times a day, if I had to take an educated guess, just based on personal experience.

What I do know personally all this "illegal" activity changed several young men's lives for the better. Just because it is "illegal" doesn't mean it's not the right thing to do.
little illegal things do not happen everyday in recruiting offices, I can tell you that as a fact. There are gray areas, that everyone plays in, but if it is a rule, you do not touch it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom