Son just got picked up....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, it's been a LONG time so bear with me. And I don't even know if they do this sort of thing any more BUT I worked for a lawyer who would help kids who got into trouble in the 18-22 ave bracket work out a plea deal where if one of the branches of military would take the kid (and they had to sign up for a minimum of 4 years -- that could have changed by now), then the judge would defer sentencing. IF the kid did his 4 years and stayed out of trouble the charge (usually DUI/drunk and disorderly) they charges were dropped.

I cannot remember what the Motion we filed was called to get that ball rolling. I also do not know if that attorney still practices law, but I'll PM you his name. He'll give your son his first consultation free.

Former Navy recruiter here, while there may have been a time when the military would gobble him up today's military is a completely different animal. What is his rate that he signed up for? Some rates require a squeaky clean resume and others may allow a waiver from the CO of the recruiting district. I actually had a couple of folks join with DUI's and a waiver but never had anyone get one while waiting to leave. It really depends on what his job (rate) manning looks like and his interview with the Skipper, probably by phone. Special programs and bonuses will certainly disappear.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's why I said it had been a LONG time and that he needed to call an attorney. Programs change all the time. There WAS a time the military (Army, I believe) had a program to help kids get their GEDs and then move on to basic training. It is my understanding that program is no longer available.

I am not aware of whether the program I was speaking of is a available or not any longer. I think I said that in my posts.

The bottom line is if he has ANY chance of salvaging his military career at all he NEEDS to speak with an attorney who is knowledgeable about such things.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Former Navy recruiter here, while there may have been a time when the military would gobble him up today's military is a completely different animal. What is his rate that he signed up for? Some rates require a squeaky clean resume and others may allow a waiver from the CO of the recruiting district. I actually had a couple of folks join with DUI's and a waiver but never had anyone get one while waiting to leave. It really depends on what his job (rate) manning looks like and his interview with the Skipper, probably by phone. Special programs and bonuses will certainly disappear.

Beat me to it. The sooner the better.

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The GED program is still around if there is an opening, rare these days but it happens. When I was recruiting the applicant had to score over a 50 on the ASVAB to be eligible. Minimum score was 33, passing was 17 and of course everything was waiverable unless permenant medically rejected.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have my lawyer on speed dial. Of course it is usually to shoot and BBQ, but he has never let my alligator mouth get my hummingbird butt in a permanent bind.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The GED program is still around if there is an opening, rare these days but it happens. When I was recruiting the applicant had to score over a 50 on the ASVAB to be eligible. Minimum score was 33, passing was 17 and of course everything was waiverable unless permenant medically rejected.

Haha! Oh really!?!? Then I know a kid who pulled the wool over his folks' eyes ... lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom