Southern Speed Bumps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always knew they carried leprosy, but now researchers have proved it can be transmitted to humans by handling or eating them.

Eating armadillos blamed for leprosy in the South
With some genetic sleuthing, scientists have fingered a likely culprit in the spread of leprosy in the southern United States: the nine-banded armadillo.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42788111/ns/health-infectious_diseases/from/toolbar

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not only is that disturbing, I, as a hillbilly, find it disgusting.

They didn't cook them first?? Cavemen. . .

This is what I was concerned with.
The leprosy is easily killed with low temperatures while cooking. Dillers have been used for food for many years in the southern parts of the country.
I'm thinking the handling part after shooting one and putting it in the burn barrel may be an issue.

gundummy911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Have any of you guys ever eaten one? I've always handled them with gloves, don't know if I even want to do that now, let the birds take care of them.

MMMMMMMM! Possum on the half shell!

Hey, Yawl know why the chicken crossed the road?

To show the armadillo it could be done!!

I used to have a pair of armadillo skin boots, until I tried to cross the road against the light.....they froze on the spot!!

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We play armadillo polo on 4wheelers when we find them out in the pasture. For some reason there are tons of them in this one hay meadow, you can look out there at almost any given moment and see 4 or 5 of them shining in the meadow during the daytime.

Latest posts

Top Bottom