Spent Sunday at Canton WMA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTexOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
TONS of hog activity in the western lake bottoms. Parked near Cedar Camp and hiked down the dense road towards the river. Not an easy walk, but my oh my there are a ton of hogs down there. We heard several as we walked up on their bedding area but didn't see any. Did walk right up on about 10 deer that didn't scatter till we where within 10 yards.

We went to a different camp at the western most camp. My buddy and I hiked in about 1.5 miles and called coyotes. I'm scanning the tree line across the field and I hear something directly to my right. I look away from my scope and directly to my right at a 90 degree angle was a coyote less than 15 yards away. My rifle was set up on a pod with a tree limb to my right. I couldn't swing it over to get a shot. The coyote was looking right past me at the quiver critter we had set up and just standing there. I pulled my .40 XD out and got the gun on him just as he turned and ran. Click. I had forgotten to chamber a round. I'm holding my rifle with the off hand, couldn't chamber one in time to get a shot.

As close as I've gotten to a coyote in the very short time I've been trying to call them. I was standing up against a tree and he never even knew I was there until I got my pistol out of the holster and he heard me.

Also called a fox in as well. High grass and we saw him about 250 yards out. Never saw him again as he was coming towards the decoy. Grass/wheat/weeds where 3+ feet in the area we were hunting.

BigTexOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice! I'd love to get into some hogs. I just hate being out in the woods in this hot weather though.

Yeah, it was a hot and tough hike. Walking through stuff that was over our heads. If they allowed night hunting with varmint lights you could take out a ton of hogs. A portable tree stand, my .308 with the varmint light..man that would be fun.

Unfortunately that's not legal here like it is in Texas.

BigTexOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey are centerfire rifles allowed at Canton right now for piggies? Thanks and thanks for the report.

Yes. I spoke with the game warden and biologist before going. Biologist put me in the right area, game warden (Conradty, IIRC) said that all centerfires are allowed right now. I believe he said that you were good with all rifles until bow season starts.

My buddy and I both took Savage .308's(hogs) and Savage .223's(varmints.)

Latest posts

Top Bottom