Sport bike question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ok. I'm considering a sport bike (think FZR,CBR,GSXR,). Anyway I have BBs approval. My question is how uncomfortable are they? Or are they really. And I'm wanting experiences actual owners have had. Unreliable, hard to ride etc. I'm not a complete novice. Used to ride fairly often before my first marriage...then kids happened. Or if someone close might let me take theirs for a short ride to judge for myself....yes I have my M endorsement and no no wheelies or stupid stunts.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up on dirtbikes, naturally rolled into a Honda Shadow cruiser at 18. Rode it for a few years. Traded up to a HD Road King a few years later. That was my three season go-to transportation. Came across a good deal on a crotch rocket, ended up buying it. At first, it was uncomfortable, getting used to the posture... within days, it became miles beyond the Harley in terms of comfort. No numb legs, tired booty, heavy arms... Dirt bike comfort. While sport bikes aren't for everyone, I liked it way more than what Willie G's put out.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to ride a CBR when I was younger and I rode one a year ago and it was not all that nice so if you have a beer gut you might want to look into something like a kawasaki versys, the beer gut makes sport bikes not so comfy.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My last bike was a ninja 1000r. It was not really made for long rides because you are laying over on your hands and wrist. My hands would fall asleep after an hour or so of riding. Other than that it was a blast!

I've been craving a vrod lately.

Bigjoe.45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About the only thing on the list that won't make you want to drive off the road on purpose would be a CBR1100XX with Heli-bars and a corbin seat. They are really pretty darn uncomfortable but they are additive and nothing has the power to dollar ratio of a crotch rocket! I am old and fat and still ride them, but I am not real bright. With that said, some of the new "adventure tourers" look awesome and I think would be as fast as any normal human could ever want to go.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IDK, I've only rode a true sport bike like the one's you mention a couple of times. They aren't something I'd want to ride cross country, but honestly they were a little more comfortable than my Shadow with it's forward controls and I DID ride it across half the country. Still makes my butt hurt just thinking about it (that's those forward controls). But seriously, I don't have enough seat time to compare objectively. I know I'd love to have one for just zipping around town. My next bike will be a BMW R1200RS or whatever their equivalent is at that time if it ever happens.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would advise against it. I had a '95 CBR and the position hurt my neck and back after every ride. I ride a GS500F now which looks like a sportbike but is more of a standard riding position. The power was nice and the thrill of hitting 60 in a few seconds was fantastic but then you settle in for the highway... The newer bike are pretty reliable with fuel injection vs the old carburetor bikes (my GS500F is carbed) and they're around the same power and efficiency last I looked into them (YZF vs CBR vs Ninja vs GSXR). I have heard that the Hayabusa is quite nice to ride and great for long distances but I haven't even touched one to find out (too much money). I would go to a dealership and see if they'll let you sit on the bikes and see how you feel on them. Also check out cycle-ergo.com to see what kind of riding position you'd be in.

Latest posts

Top Bottom