Sport bike question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Speed-Tribe 4 Life

Lol, yep. That was a fun time. I rode as 02 Yamaha R6. That thing was a blast. You could go into corners and muscle it around without an issue. That bike begged me to kill myself....thus I sold it cause I couldn't stay out of the throttle. Even at 21, if I rode for more than an hour's duration, my lower back began to hurt.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok. I'm considering a sport bike (think FZR,CBR,GSXR,). Anyway I have BBs approval. My question is how uncomfortable are they? Or are they really. And I'm wanting experiences actual owners have had. Unreliable, hard to ride etc. I'm not a complete novice. Used to ride fairly often before my first marriage...then kids happened. Or if someone close might let me take theirs for a short ride to judge for myself....yes I have my M endorsement and no no wheelies or stupid stunts.
Just watch them nuts.

Sent from the Armory

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want one really bad but I have really short legs and even with the bike lowered I still have trouble, but man these things are a blast.

Corbin used to make a seat that would take it down just shy of 30 inches, but that's still tall for me lmao. Sweet sweet bikes. I keep looking at the 800gsa too, just to putt around town on.

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Vote for something like the ST1300. Ordered this one new back on 03. Comfortable, smooth and plenty quick. Electric windshield with ABS brakes and adjustable seat height. I was 47 at the time and it was the right bike for me.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Corbin used to make a seat that would take it down just shy of 30 inches, but that's still tall for me lmao. Sweet sweet bikes. I keep looking at the 800gsa too, just to putt around town on.

im a walking freak show i am 5'11" with a 25" inseam all of my height is body so it makes my bike options very limited because I really want a KLR650 and I am just to damn short.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Plenty of bikes that go like stink without the crotch rocket riding posture.

Insurance costs less as well for standard bikes.
Insurance doesn't cost any less. I paid $90/yr for insurance for my cruiser and $60/yr for my sport bike...I highly recommend Progressive for their bike insurance.

The sport/tour bikes of today are pretty nice. Performance + handling = win!

I would agree to this after a lot of time in the seat of cruisers/touring bikes/and sport bikes. Your comfort would depend on intended use, and physical shape. Everyone that has complained of their wrists getting sore on a sport bike, hate to say it, is probably in horrible shape or just more than likely doesn't know proper posture and riding technique when riding a sport bike. You should never have weight on your wrists while riding a sport bike in the first place. Also, that is why there are more than likely so many sport bike wrecks, they go fast in a straight line until there's a curve...high speed with weight on your wrists = zero responsiveness of the bike and death. If you do get a sport bike, I highly urge you to go to a track school for a basic beginner 1 track day. You will learn more about safe riding in a controlled environment that you can ever learn safely and legally on the street. It will increase comfort when you ride, and your safety and you'll actually learn your bike and how to truly handle it.

I currently own a cruiser, for the simple fact that 110MPH is as fast as it will go dressed out, and I'm perfectly happy with it. I found myself CRUISING on my sport bike at 100+ after a few years of riding, and why? because on those machines, it's not that damn fast, and it's damn nearing like idling speed in 5th or 6th gear (insert sarcasm). Seriously though, I've ridden with cops, firefighters, ems....after a while, the speed becomes second nature, to all of them. I've made plenty of 150+ mph runs to tulsa and dallas (my bike topped out at 176 MPH with the gearing I had on it). I have yet to meet someone that can honestly say their sport bike doesn't see 100+ at least once a week, unless they were riding a 250 ninja or hyosung.

My next bike is going to be like a hybrid,( or i'll break down and say 'eff it and get a damn hog/harley). They are dressed like sport bikes, but they have a more upward riding positing for riding around town and longer trips. You'll still find yourself leaning over a bit with higher speeds though. Like this : http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product Lines/Cycles/Products/SFV650/2013/SFV650.aspx

As far as brands for sports bikes, over the time I've seen it like this (as from working on bikes, and MANY years as a help tech on an international motorcycle forum, and I still am)

Honda cbr: moderate power, moderate comfort, most forgiving chassis to new rider errors (chassi geometry plays a huge role in sport bikes), most reliable (even when abused to hell) - overall best of all attributes bike
R6 : high power, high discomfort, slightly unreliable (she's a high maintenance bi*ch)
Ninja: under powered, moderate comfort, reliability is based on owner care
gsxr : good power, heavy, most comfortable, reliability is based on owners care

fatcpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have no experience on anything other than cruisers, but my neighbor has a 2009 Honda STS1300 that he swears by. Last time I talked to him he had over 86,000 miles on it with nothing but preventative maintenance. He's an average size guy at about 6 ft and 175 lbs. He rode a Kawasaki road bike for several years before getting the Honda and says he would never go back.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Insurance doesn't cost any less. I paid $90/yr for insurance for my cruiser and $60/yr for my sport bike...I highly recommend Progressive for their bike insurance.

I would agree to this after a lot of time in the seat of cruisers/touring bikes/and sport bikes. Your comfort would depend on intended use, and physical shape. Everyone that has complained of their wrists getting sore on a sport bike, hate to say it, is probably in horrible shape or just more than likely doesn't know proper posture and riding technique when riding a sport bike. You should never have weight on your wrists while riding a sport bike in the first place. Also, that is why there are more than likely so many sport bike wrecks, they go fast in a straight line until there's a curve...high speed with weight on your wrists = zero responsiveness of the bike and death. If you do get a sport bike, I highly urge you to go to a track school for a basic beginner 1 track day. You will learn more about safe riding in a controlled environment that you can ever learn safely and legally on the street. It will increase comfort when you ride, and your safety and you'll actually learn your bike and how to truly handle it.

I currently own a cruiser, for the simple fact that 110MPH is as fast as it will go dressed out, and I'm perfectly happy with it. I found myself CRUISING on my sport bike at 100+ after a few years of riding, and why? because on those machines, it's not that damn fast, and it's damn nearing like idling speed in 5th or 6th gear (insert sarcasm). Seriously though, I've ridden with cops, firefighters, ems....after a while, the speed becomes second nature, to all of them. I've made plenty of 150+ mph runs to tulsa and dallas (my bike topped out at 176 MPH with the gearing I had on it). I have yet to meet someone that can honestly say their sport bike doesn't see 100+ at least once a week, unless they were riding a 250 ninja or hyosung.

My next bike is going to be like a hybrid,( or i'll break down and say 'eff it and get a damn hog/harley). They are dressed like sport bikes, but they have a more upward riding positing for riding around town and longer trips. You'll still find yourself leaning over a bit with higher speeds though. Like this : http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product Lines/Cycles/Products/SFV650/2013/SFV650.aspx

As far as brands for sports bikes, over the time I've seen it like this (as from working on bikes, and MANY years as a help tech on an international motorcycle forum, and I still am)

Honda cbr: moderate power, moderate comfort, most forgiving chassis to new rider errors (chassi geometry plays a huge role in sport bikes), most reliable (even when abused to hell) - overall best of all attributes bike
R6 : high power, high discomfort, slightly unreliable (she's a high maintenance bi*ch)
Ninja: under powered, moderate comfort, reliability is based on owner care
gsxr : good power, heavy, most comfortable, reliability is based on owners care

Awesome info.

Latest posts

Top Bottom