Bike opinions - VTX1800F vs Warrior

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Opinions between these two bikes?

If you're not familiar with them, here's a review of each at a google provided website.

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/yamaha/2008-yamaha-warrior-ar47803.html

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/honda/2007-honda-vtx1800f-ar16788.html

Both can be had on the used market relatively cheap (under $5k easy). I'm a "relatively" new rider. I put on about 10k miles, but that was 8 years ago, and I haven't ridden since.

My first (and only) bike was a Shadow 750, with only 37hp and 500+lbs, was pretty tame, and made a good starter bike. But I don't want something underpowered again. I realize both of those bikes are big (BIG!), so feel free to give reasons I shouldn't go with them; but also please don't just say "no". And if you do advise against it, tell me why, and if possible, suggest something else.

So, why I picked those... Cruiser - ish required by wife. More specifically, not a sportbike. I could probably talk her into a standard, or touring bike; but I don't really want a sport tourer. Standard is certainly on the table. I want something sportier and less "dated" looking than the 750 ACE I had. So no retro bikes with big flared fenders. I probably won't be buying new, and $5k would be an absolute hard max. I'd prefer to spend less on the bike, and leave more room for safety gear and extras on the bike.

I have not taken the MSF, yet, but will before I buy something. My wife has also said she wants to go as well, even though she doesn't intend to ride much, if at all.

Thanks for any opinions / arguments!

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want to ride the VTX 1800S or a VTX 1300C get ahold of me. I don't know much about the warrior, but I'm sure that it's a solid bike.

ETA: You won't be buying a new VTX 1800 unless you find one tucked away in a crate somewhere, I believe the last year for production was 2009. The 1800 is a big powerful bike that doesn't get great fuel economy, 30-34mpg, but when you ride with that much power you don't care. If you're looking for a bike that will sound like a Harley, the 1800 isn't it, the 1800 has an offset dual pin crankshaft where traditional V-Twin engines have a single pin crankshaft that allows for the loping sound that HD is famous for. You can get that sound from a VTX 1300.

As tall and lanky as you are, you really might enjoy the S/R/N models of the VTX over the C/F models.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Yup. Don't think the Warrior is currently in production either. Don't care really, I'd rather not have a new bike to worry over.

Thanks for the offer! I might be taking you up on that.

I've ridden an F model, years ago, for a short bit. I'm not fond of the big fenders on the S/R/N models, but function over form, so if it they're more comfy, I'd figure something out.

I just moved, so now my commute is 2.5 miles, so MPGs aren't a big issue anymore, as I'd be riding for fun, not cost savings. Either way, 30mpg is still almost a 100% improvement. Apparently my car only gets 17mpg in town. Yikes!

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is my R all cleaned up. Now, do those fenders really look that bad?
i606.photobucket.com_albums_tt144_jsutton68_IMG_0629_zpstofhn0i0.jpg

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Which one? As reliable as my old VT1100C has been I'd go with Honda, but like S4F said, they'll both be solid bikes. The VTX 1800 is a big honkin bike, I actually like the 1300s better.

When you do your MSF you'll appreciate a smaller bike.

It's not so bad in Oklahoma but to get your M endorsement in kommiefornia they had 2 concentric circles that you had to be able to do a 360 in while keeping both tires inside of them the whole way around. I couldn't do it on my 1100 and I'm an experienced rider. It was tough. I wasn't getting a license out there but my friend's wife was and we went up to the practice lot with her one weekend. Oklahoma is a piece of cake, the written is the hardest part.

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had a few bikes over the years and I think Yamaha is more reliable than Honda. But they are both good bikes but the Yamaha's that I have had were mostly
trouble free. If you are going to ride double you need the power so go as big as you can afford.

Latest posts

Top Bottom