Spotting scopes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mechanicalmehem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a spotting scope, does anyone have any suggestions/ideas. I'm looking for best bang for buck without breaking the bank, less that $150 is prefered?
thanks
--Mech

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
150 bucks wont buy much of a spotting scope. At a minimum Id save up another hundred or so and get into a Redhead or even a little more and get a leupold Sequoia.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A little information on what you would like to do with it will help.

Examples: Hey are those brown spots deer on that alfalfa field? (600 yards) Let me look and see. Yep they are deer. I can tell a couple might be pretty nice bucks but its too blurry to tell much. Or hey can you tell where I am hitting? (Target at 300 yards, .243 caliber) Well it looks like a hole about 7 inches low and to the right, but I can't really tell. If I zoom in more it gets blurry. This is common amongst the bottom dollar spotting scopes.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A little information on what you would like to do with it will help.

Examples: Hey are those brown spots deer on that alfalfa field? (600 yards) Let me look and see. Yep they are deer. I can tell a couple might be pretty nice bucks but its too blurry to tell much. Or hey can you tell where I am hitting? (Target at 300 yards, .243 caliber) Well it looks like a hole about 7 inches low and to the right, but I can't really tell. If I zoom in more it gets blurry. This is common amongst the bottom dollar spotting scopes.

This.

If you're trying to spot a paper target at 300+ yards, then you don't want something with less-than-uber-clear glass. I don't think you can find a scope that's worth the money without spending around $200.

The Bushnell Excursion 15-45x60 is the best deal in spotting scopes (it has mil-hash marks in it):

http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-15-45x60-excursion-spotting-scope-with-mil-hash-reticle.html

Check out Burris' cheaper line - you can find a decent spotter (low-power) for around $200. Bushnell's $200 spotters are a decent deal as well (not as clear as the Burris Landmark / high-country line, but with more powerful magnification for around the same price).

I personally have bad experiences with NcStar, Leupold's Sequoia line, RedHead, BSA, and a few other cheaper brands. Online reviews are your friend.

I know many a person who bought because of brand-name only and was disappointed.

Mechanicalmehem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay, I'm not set on price, yes I'd like to shoot and see out to 600 yards, but I am nowhere near that level. Ive always thought buy once and plan ahead so you don't have to buy again. I do want to get a very clear glass, I have a scope now(BSA) that was on a rifle when I bought it and I hate it due to being blurry, the $80 scope from wal mart dwarfs it.... Right now I am mostly shooting in the 100-200 range but would prefer to not hav to buy another glass after I extend that range....
Thanks
--Mech

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Konus I have linked will be it - I have tested it against $2000 spotters, and other than size it didn't give up in clearity, brightness or resolution. I just ordered another one just to have it when I bring a friend to the range.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
just me... but much rather spend about same $$$ for a used top of the line optic vs paying about same $$ for a new mid to low end optic.

have always believed in buying the most optics that one can afford. guns come and go... fine optics tend to stick around.

waited until I found an old bausch & lomb spotting scope with two lens ocular lens. one fixed, other 20-60x

one of the best $350 I've ever spent!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom