Springfield 1911 GI Upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbfree

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the full size Springfield 1911 stainless GI .45. It shoots like a dream, and is very solid. I LOVE it. I have been going back and forth on wether I want to upgrade the trigger pull or the sights first. Any suggestions/other upgrades? Best bang for my buck?

Thanks

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The best thing you can do to a Springfield GI to make it run better is to remove all of the weird "safety" features and take it internally back to the stock 1911 configuration.

There are two big changes Springfield makes -- 1, a mainspring with a locking system, and 2, a lightweight firing pin with a heavy spring to keep the pistol from firing if dropped directly on it's muzzle (a "California" safety feature). Both of these changes deviate from the standard 1911 setup, and mess with the internal inertial balance of the pistol when operating.

First, remove the ILS Mainspring housing, then replace it with a normal 1911 MSH. You'll also have to buy a new stock 23# mainspring and a new plunger.

I also recommend replacing the titanium firing pin (one of those 'California legal features') with a steel pin. The firing pin hole is a smaller non-standard size, but a .38 Super pin fits perfectly. Also, replace the firing pin spring, since the stock spring is much stronger than stock.

Finally, replace the recoil spring with a stock 14# unit. Springfield puts in a lighter recoil spring (9-12#, IIRC) to allow the slide more momentum when it moves aft to counteract the difference in the spring-rate of the shorter mainspring in the ILS MSH.

The GI sights aren't for everyone, so it's an easy upgrade. Plenty of manufacturers make nice sights; most of them are an easy install by any competent gunsmith. Just realize that the front sight tenon in the Springer isn't stock -- USGI spec 1911s have a .058" width slot in the slide for the front sight tenon, while post-1988 Colts use a .125" tenon. Springfields use a .088" tenon size, so keep that in mind if you plan to order new replacement sights.

Fancy aluminum triggers with adjustable over-travel and whatnot aren't needed. If you want to clean up the trigger pull, it is easily done using the stock parts, a stone and file set, and the internet. If you're going to do it yourself, PLEASE be sure you read up on it (watch some youtibe vids as well) before you do it.

As for other upgrades...only upgrade what you need to. If you get 'hammer bite', then by all means go for a beavertail safety...otherwise, leave it as-is. Extended safeties and slide stops are nice, but I've never seen the real need for them outside of competition shooting. Other fashionable stuff like full-length guide rods etc are worthless.

Dr. Barry Greyson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ILS mainspring is 30lbs.
Stock Colt is 23lbs.
Recoil spring is 16lbs stock in Springfield and Colt(5")
Titanium will work with stock FP spring but can contribute to light hits...Also, I would check it on a regular basis for distortion or "smearing", but replacement with tool steel is a better idea.
Aluminum "fancy" triggers have a place the lighter the trigger pull you are going to use.
I would replace the complete MSH and internals...ED Brown 25 lpi is a very nice part...the cost $55 for the part plus shipping, and MS plus internals $12-15.
If you are not familiar with 1911 hammer and sear angles you have NO business stoning them ....you are responsible for any malfunctions and any injuries caused by unfamiliarity or incompetance. You would be better off using a drop in kit from a company like Cylinder & Slide that is pre set up.

Barry

Latest posts

Top Bottom