SQ 766 - Ban Taxation on Intangible Assets - Poll

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ 766 - Pass or Don't Pass

• Yes - Pass SQ 766

Votes: 85 87.6%
  • No - Do not pass SQ 766

Votes: 12 12.4%

• Total voters

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Funny how private schools can provide a first class education with all students FAR above the state average and a huge (almost 100%) percentage graduating and going onto higher learning with MUCH less cost per student than the current Oklahoma public educational system.

Funny how that works...

Funny I say.

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If u want to see funny look on the north side of 37 hwy as u are going into Tuttle , OK. they wasted a chunk of tax dollars there & it must be a 1/4 mile from the schools.

tbirch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go be a school Administrator for a while. Then tell me they don't deserve their salary. My old man is a superintendent. He puts up with so much from ignorant community members. 5 teachers retired? That damn Superintendent is running off all my favorite teachers who let my kids pass without doing any work. Let's start having community meetings to try and get him fired! My kid has homework now? The teacher said the principal makes them give the kids work. Let's get that principal fired! What? They are making improvements and bettering this school? Well I went here in the 80s and it was good enough for me! They should spend that money on FOOTBALL!!!(Which is illegal) If they don't pay what they pay, why would anyone want to put up with all that BS? The problem isn't money. The problem is crappy teachers. I'm currently in school to be a teacher. I have been doing in school observations. There are so many teachers who don't care, it's ridiculous. There needs to be more accountability to teachers. Do you know how hard it is for a teacher to lose their job for performance reasons? Any other job, you do bad work, you get fired. Not so with education. If teachers give kids the education they deserve, they succeed in college, get good jobs, make more money, spend more money, and pay more taxes which then go to the schools. Don't tell me that administrators salaries need cut. You go deal with all that, and balance a multi-million dollar budget, all while having no actual power because the school board has to approve everything so sometimes your hands are tied, but the community blames you. Oh and then take a pay cut. How long are you going to continue that? Probably going to look for work elsewhere, I'd imagine.

^^^ What he said!

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just for a thought by going back to the State Question we are supposed to be discussing within this thread. Anyone who takes pictures has the blessing that as soon as they take that picture of whatever subject, that picture is copyrighted. No paperwork or anything else to do. Now, I am what I refer to as a "serious, amateur" photographer. I've literally taken thousands of photos since digital cameras came about. The last thing I want is some government wienie coming demanding to see my photos and then start assessing each and every one of them with a dollar value and charging me an extra tax.

Nor do I think that anyone else wants their "intangible asset" to be taxed either.

As for the schools, I was also a school board member. THAT was probably the greatest education that I ever received. I agree with the idea of ending tenure and educational unions, but I'll go further and say we need to totally get rid of the federal education department and let the control of education go back to the states and the local school boards.

Model 70

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Intangible Personal Property which is still currently taxed but would not be taxed if the measure is adopted, includes items such as:

* patents, inventions, formulas, designs, and trade secrets;
* licenses, franchise, and contracts;
* land leases, mineral interests, and insurance policies;
* custom computer software; and
* trademarks, trade names and brand names.

I have seen the advertisements on the television about this state question. The context of the ad states something along the line of "Now they want to tax my business name and trademark" as if this in the only thing that is affected. Listening to the manner is which it is presented, a person would be led to believe that the Intangible Property Tax is something new, a new evil tax that would put a further burden on his family business that has provided jobs in the community etc, etc, ad nauseum, and a Yes vote for SQ766 is gonna save all the small businesses from catastrophe.

A little research shows that the tax on intangible assets has been in place for a while. Research also shows that the large businesses that are already making huge profits here in Oklahoma stand to gain the most from a yes vote on SQ766. A yes vote is estimated to result in a 50 million dollar tax shortfall, a large chunk of which goes to education. State governments do not just eat a 50 million dollar tax shortfall, it just gets shifted to something else, like property taxes.

I'm just sayin............ It might be a good idea to think about this one.

I wonder who it is that is paying for this ad which runs about 30 times a day.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
State governments do not just eat a 50 million dollar tax shortfall, it just gets shifted to something else, like property taxes.

Good thing there is another State Question up for vote that limits the percentage that property taxes can increase each year!!

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Intangible Personal Property which is still currently taxed but would not be taxed if the measure is adopted, includes items such as:

* patents, inventions, formulas, designs, and trade secrets;
* licenses, franchise, and contracts;
* land leases, mineral interests, and insurance policies;
* custom computer software; and
* trademarks, trade names and brand names.

I have seen the advertisements on the television about this state question. The context of the ad states something along the line of "Now they want to tax my business name and trademark" as if this in the only thing that is affected. Listening to the manner is which it is presented, a person would be led to believe that the Intangible Property Tax is something new, a new evil tax that would put a further burden on his family business that has provided jobs in the community etc, etc, ad nauseum, and a Yes vote for SQ766 is gonna save all the small businesses from catastrophe.

A little research shows that the tax on intangible assets has been in place for a while. Research also shows that the large businesses that are already making huge profits here in Oklahoma stand to gain the most from a yes vote on SQ766. A yes vote is estimated to result in a 50 million dollar tax shortfall, a large chunk of which goes to education. State governments do not just eat a 50 million dollar tax shortfall, it just gets shifted to something else, like property taxes.

<sigh>

It is a new tax for the 90+% of businesses that were not subjected to it prior to the SC ruling.

Yes, the large (you left out 'public service only') businesses making huge profits stand the most to gain, but only if some other way to deal with the tax code is not addressed by the legislature (which they will HAVE to do).

So.. in recap, a vote YES will force the legislature to do it's job and deal with the fallout from the crappy law they wrote and figure out a fair, legal and equitable way to tax those large public service businesses which was their original intent.

A vote NO will cause a new tax structure that applies to small businesses which was never the legislatures original intent behind the law.

Latest posts

Top Bottom