SQ 766 - Ban Taxation on Intangible Assets - Poll

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ 766 - Pass or Don't Pass

• Yes - Pass SQ 766

Votes: 85 87.6%
  • No - Do not pass SQ 766

Votes: 12 12.4%

• Total voters

hard_r

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

As for the schools, I was also a school board member. THAT was probably the greatest education that I ever received. I agree with the idea of ending tenure and educational unions, but I'll go further and say we need to totally get rid of the federal education department and let the control of education go back to the states and the local school boards.

Here here! Right on!

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
... and insurance policies;[/U][/B]...

What!?

I'm not sure how this is an asset at all. An insurance policy, when paying out on a claim, simply pays the insured up to the level they were at immediately before the loss; that is, the person is indemnified but not bettered. But the insurance policy comes with a premium. For this consideration, the policy holder is made whole in even of any loss.

The policy should be an expense on pretty much all , just like any other operating expense (rent, utilities). How the hell is an expense considered an asset?

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
<sigh>

It is a new tax for the 90+% of businesses that were not subjected to it prior to the SC ruling.

Yes, the large (you left out 'public service only') businesses making huge profits stand the most to gain, but only if some other way to deal with the tax code is not addressed by the legislature (which they will HAVE to do).

So.. in recap, a vote YES will force the legislature to do it's job and deal with the fallout from the crappy law they wrote and figure out a fair, legal and equitable way to tax those large public service businesses which was their original intent.

A vote NO will cause a new tax structure that applies to small businesses which was never the legislatures original intent behind the law.

if a "yes" vote will make the legislature go back and "do their job, why wouldnt a "no" vote do the same thing? I think it BS this is even on the ballot. If we vote NO, businesses can light a fire under our law makers faster than a YES vote. I think voting YES just allows them to drag their feet.

Btw, my minds not made up yet and ill listen to different opinions.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if a "yes" vote will make the legislature go back and "do their job, why wouldnt a "no" vote do the same thing? I think it BS this is even on the ballot. If we vote NO, businesses can light a fire under our law makers faster than a YES vote. I think voting YES just allows them to drag their feet.

Btw, my minds not made up yet and ill listen to different opinions.

Good question...

I'd rather be one to vote the crap law down and force them to actively to their job if they want to capture taxes rather than voting a bigger tax and hoping that business owners will be able to lobby the legislature to remove it.

In other words, why wouldn't you vote to not have the tax and make them work if they want the $ instead of just giving them extra $ and hoping they'll give it back someday.

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good question...

I'd rather be one to vote the crap law down and force them to actively to their job if they want to capture taxes rather than voting a bigger tax and hoping that business owners will be able to lobby the legislature to remove it.

In other words, why wouldn't you vote to not have the tax and make them work if they want the $ instead of just giving them extra $ and hoping they'll give it back someday.
How are we going to grow the government with your way of thinking? Businesses are a gift from the government and should gladly give back whatever the government needs to fund its inefficiency. You heartless bastards. It is for the children.

dru

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am curious to know from those members who voted "no" on this poll why you voted that way. I know that ostensibly its about schools and helping them but why would you vote to have intangible assets taxed as a means of accomplishing that goal? Having a tax on intangible assets seems to be a rather difficult idea to enact and enforce on an equitable basis and seems like it would lend itself quite readily to political favoritism. But maybe I'm missing something here.

Just curious what your thoughts were

Latest posts

Top Bottom