Stargazing Vacation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No spotting scope, but am gonna take a couple sets of binos.
I don't do any research with my 8" Celestron so I can't claim to be an amateur astronomer. I fall under the category of star gazer. Even with the Celestron I do most of my star gazing with binoculars. If something interesting comes along like a comet I'll rollout the Celestron. I like to gaze at the planets, star clusters, and nebulae as well. As has been said, dark skies are key to full enjoyment of a stargazing outing.

When I find out I've only got a couple years of life left in me I'll sell all my guns except one and buy something with a 16" or so mirror in it, and move to some mountain with dark skies.

Woody

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Awesome to know there’s another amateur astronomer here!

I bought a 12” Dobsonian reflector in April and my wife and I had planned to go to Black Mesa this past weekend during the current new moon. Clouds and storms ended up making us have to cancel unfortunately. Black Mesa is a Bortle 1 sky...dark enough for the stars themselves to actually cast shadows.

I had a business trip last fall to Gunnison and the skies at those altitudes when you are away from city lights is absolutely breathtaking.
Black mesa is an awesome place to go play with your telescope. We've taken my daughters 8in dob up there several times. Need to get my camper fixed so we can go again soon....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You'll love it. Some of my favorite country. Do keep an eye out for Bigfoot, tho'. A friend of mine claimed he saw a female bigfoot walking away from his cabin near there. He said he knew it was a female cause she was prissing away like she had a purse on her arm. He drinks a lot tho'.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a very once-in-a-while star gazer; I got a great deal on a 14" dob a couple of years ago, but sometimes I have just as much fun laying out on a reclining lawn chair with a pair of binos.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like a fun trip. I can keep the new hot tub occupied for you if you like. I'm pretty good at making my own bubbles.;)

Sure! I just dumped quite a bit of SHOCK in it while we’re gone so if your skin or any appendages falls off, don’t say I didn’t warn you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome. Now I know exactly when your house will be empty so I can raid your stash.

Yeah, that’ll be a good idea. Tell my Extra Large Son in law who to send the remains to, if you have time that is. I’ll let him know you might be stopping by one evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom