staying warm bow hunting question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well I went out hunting saturday morning and was lucky enough to get my first deer with a bow. It was a good sized doe so I should be eating pretty good for a while. The one thing I noticed was that the hunting clothes I had on were to thick and I had a hard time getting in position with my bow because of it. My question is does anyone use that body armor cold gear stuff to stay warm and how does it work? What else do people wear to stay warm but not be to bulky to use a bow properly.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats on your first deer with the bow. :D

My buddy uses the under-armor gear, and swears by it. He is cold natured.
I just get the inexpensive double layer cotton long johns from wallyworld, and put on layers vs using a big heavy jacket. If needed, I'll put some of those chemical hand warmers in my shirt and pants pocket. I've seen those belts that position the hand warmer packets over your kidneys to warm the blood in catalogs, and would bet that might be an answer to keeping warm with less clothes.

sdsconcrete

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats on your first deer with the bow. :D

My buddy uses the under-armor gear, and swears by it. He is cold natured.
I just get the inexpensive double layer cotton long johns from wallyworld, and put on layers vs using a big heavy jacket. If needed, I'll put some of those chemical hand warmers in my shirt and pants pocket. I've seen those belts that position the hand warmer packets over your kidneys to warm the blood in catalogs, and would bet that might be an answer to keeping warm with less clothes.

Under armor works great. Good advise.

hubmonkey

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well I went out hunting saturday morning and was lucky enough to get my first deer with a bow. It was a good sized doe so I should be eating pretty good for a while. The one thing I noticed was that the hunting clothes I had on were to thick and I had a hard time getting in position with my bow because of it. My question is does anyone use that body armor cold gear stuff to stay warm and how does it work? What else do people wear to stay warm but not be to bulky to use a bow properly.

My neighbor, an avid bow hunter, uses a really good base layer of Under Armour style stuff then fleece with a wind and waterproof camo outer layer. His outer layer is really thin and he is always warm according to him.

Hub

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Congrats on your first deer!!!!!:mosh: Welcome to another addiction.

Layers vs bulky jackets do help. I also have gone to a draw length about 1-1.5 in shorter than my standard form draw length. It takes some getting use to, but works great for shooting with heavy clothes and from awkward hunting positions.

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Under armor works great. Good advise.

I'm pro Under Armour as well, wear it in the cold gear in the winter and the heat gear in the spring and early fall before it cools off. Awesome stuff. It's pricey but I feel it's worth the cost.
As for how it works, short version, if/when you do sweat it wicks the moisture away from the body and then the fabric dries out MUCH quicker than cotton so you stay dry rather than sitting there with wet underwear.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like Polartec underwear for a base layer, most of mine is Cabela's MTP.

Cotton SUCKS as base layer, especially if you are going to be walking. Most of my stands are long walks (1/2 mile + in rough terrain), and involve climbing at least 1 ridge. A good base layer wicks sweat and keeps you dry. Cotton will keep you warm if you are stationary, get it sweaty or wet you would be warmer naked.

A good base layer keeps me pretty warm with just 1-2 light upper layers and 1 pair of pants on over it. When it gets really cold I wear my insulated bibs (Cabela's Super Slam Fleece). They are super warm and don't add any extra bulk to you arms/upper body.

I hate bulky coats anyways, especially when hunting. I don't even own a "coat", only jackets, both for hunting and every day. I feel like the little kid in A Christmas Story when I wear a big coat.

[Broken External Image]

Packing your top layer in a backpack to keep from sweating as much walking in works wonders too. Oh, and keep you draw weight reasonable. It's hard to pull after 3 hours motionless in ice cold weather.

bobed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all of your advice, I figured that layering with a good base layer was the way to go but wanted some opinions. I do not like my heavy bulky coat but that was all I had but that will change when I have the money. I have shot deer with rifles and muzzleloaders in the past but there is nothing like getting it done with a bow. I enjoy the challenge that bow hunting offers compared to shooting with a rifle (of course this is my opinion).Not to say that if a monster buck walked out and I had a rifle in my hands that I wouldn't enjoy that!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Packing your top layer in a backpack to keep from sweating as much walking in works wonders too. Oh, and keep you draw weight reasonable. It's hard to pull after 3 hours motionless in ice cold weather.

When its below freezing, I'm like you, its at least 1/2 mile to them, and sweating is not an option. My winter backpack carries a lot of clothes. When its warmer, the day pack works well.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just use thermal socks, good boots base layer of thermal bottoms and top, pants, and long sleeve shirt for early season (thru mis Nov.). After that I'll usually wear the same except with the addition of Insulated and water proof bibs. and a coat. If you're gonna bow hunt late season when its really cold then you wanna proctice shooting your bow with your coat on as well.

Contrats and best of luck in the future.

Latest posts

Top Bottom