staying warm bow hunting question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A good polypropelene face mask helps a bunch when it is really cold too. I like the cold gear, and then layer on top of that with a wool or fleece sweater over everything else that has a windbreak in it. I don't have much trouble with the cold.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just sit there and shiver because its just cheating if you use any advantage. LOL
I use under armor and I was skeptical at first, but after the first time of some really cold hunting I am a believer. I sat on the ground bow hunting in a weedy fence line. There is a bad spot in the fence and the deer use it more often than not. I had frost on my bow as well as all the grass around me. I was wearing under armor top, bottom and gloves. I had on camo jeans and a long sleeve t shirt on top. It was 28 degrees that morning when I got out of the truck and it often cools off a little bit more right before the sun comes up. I stayed very comfortable warm and would vouch for the under armor cold gear.

Hog Shooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have also been wondering about the cold gear, sounds like maybe I will have some next year. I ussually start off with the long johns, but I have some that are silk. the next layer on the bottom is just some sweat pants then I have a wool top. The final layer is scent-lok that I wait to put on till I am at the stand. I use carhart socks in the cold with some insulated boots. But I do not have a very long walk to my stand, since it is a climber. I also carry a fleece top in my pack to help if it is really cool, late season hunting I have been out in -5 and froze. So for the late season I take my insulated bibs and coat for the comfy long sit. 30BulletHoles was right practice in the clothes you hunt in, I like the look on peoples face when they drive by and I am putting on the insulated stuff in August in the yard.:screwy:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just sit there and shiver because its just cheating if you use any advantage. LOL
I use under armor and I was skeptical at first, I stayed very comfortable warm and would vouch for the under armor cold gear.

My buddy got in the wrong stack and got the cold gear top but the warm gear bottom and said he just about froze his .... off. Well, better not say, but he didn't want them frozen:D

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Which cold gear does everyone use? 1.0, 2.0, or 3.0? I was looking at the 2.0 as I walk a 1/4 to 1/2 mile to most stands I hunt. Sometimes less and sometimes more. Just depends on where I'm at.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Which cold gear does everyone use? 1.0, 2.0, or 3.0? I was looking at the 2.0 as I walk a 1/4 to 1/2 mile to most stands I hunt. Sometimes less and sometimes more. Just depends on where I'm at.

I don't know. My wife bought it for me for Christmas one year. It is black and fairly thick with a drawstring bottom and turtleneck top.

Latest posts

Top Bottom