Storage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I personally do not like to store mine loose. I like knowing the brand and quantity in the ammo can.

Two hints I'd give for anyone storing theirs in the box in the can:

1. Cut out a thin piece of cardboard to lay on the bottom with the center raise area of the can removed from the cardboard.

2. Before placing your boxes in the can, lay down a piece of ribbon or string that will lay across the bottom and rises above both sides. Makes an effective handle when trying to get boxes out of the ammo can. Use at least one per column of boxes in the can.

Dave

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ammunition storage sticky at the top of this page has all the info you need on storage.

I use ammo cans.

Thanks, can't see that sticky on my phone. But, I read it, and unless I missed it, is it better to store it loose in the can, or the factory boxes in the can. I got the can part.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, can't see that sticky on my phone. But, I read it, and unless I missed it, is it better to store it loose in the can, or the factory boxes in the can. I got the can part.

I use the cans because of the seal. It serves to keep the elements at bay. I reload, so all of my stuff is more geared toward bulk storage and is just stored loose in the can. I have 40 year old Russian ammunition that shoots just fine, so I don't put a whole lot of credence in to proper storage. That stuff was probably stored in Siberia at some point in its life. I don't really know how one could prove whether it was better to store in a can or in the box in a can. They both should work fine.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use the cans because of the seal. It serves to keep the elements at bay. I reload, so all of my stuff is more geared toward bulk storage and is just stored loose in the can. I have 40 year old Russian ammunition that shoots just fine, so I don't put a whole lot of credence in to proper storage. That stuff was probably stored in Siberia at some point in its life. I don't really know how one could prove whether it was better to store in a can or in the box in a can. They both should work fine.

Odd since you pointed me to the sticky for proper storage...

Thank you for your opinion.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Odd since you pointed me to the sticky for proper storage...

Thank you for your opinion.

I hope my posts are not being interpreted as wise or snarky. I certainly don't mean them to be and am trying to be helpful.

To quote the article, "I've seen and inspected ammunition/small arms thats been sitting in bunkers/magazines and other places thats older than most people on this board, and its still looks like the day it left the factory. Remember too this was made on the lowest bid, not your top dollar defensive ammo."

Knowing this is why I say it probably does not matter whether the ammo is stored loose or in its original packaging. You should be safe either way. I believe the article makes a point that ammunition is pretty resilient, regardless of how it is stored.

Latest posts

Top Bottom