Storing firearms and probation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Republicanhack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Read my lips:

GET - A - LAWYER.

Ignore any advice given on a forum unless you KNOW that the person giving it is an attorney. I knew a man who was on a deferred sentence for a felony arrest and trial. Had he not kept his nose clean, he would have been a felon.

When he wanted to go deer hunting, he had to first get permission from a judge and I don't know what he had to do about actually hunting. He may have had some restrictions on that as well.

Thank you for the anecdotal response to this and admitting that you don't have an absolute answer to the question. I am seeking legal council on this matter but you have showed that it isn't an absolute issue by illustrating that someone in deferment has been allowed to possess weapons for hunting.

I'm not taking the advice, I thought this might be a good place to ask the question and get a statute or something, silly me asking a question about guns on a gun forum and expecting any responses other than opinion.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I assure you that there is nothing going to happen to anyone but the person on probation. Show me a statute that says ANYTHING regarding ANYONE other than the person on probation or who is a felon. I'm not concerned with the ramifications on the gun owner, this is about the person who is on probation. I am putting in a call to the attorney that handled the original case, the person was told that they could petition for restoration of gun rights while still on probation as long as there was no other transgressions. This is a deferred scentence and as soon as probation is over they get full rights restored, the person didn't lose voting rights and has been issued a passport. Nobody is beig indignant about rights, I have dealt with this before and the most that would happen would be a probation violation unless the gun owner was knowingly allowing access to or supplying weapons to the person on probation. I was actually looking for real information and not half cocked opinion, opinion means nothing to me.

:lmfao: :lmfao: Dude, this is O.S.A.!!!! :rollingla :rollingla :rollingla This is NOT the place you come for legal advice ... It's the place you come for half-cocked opinion ... Well, that is if you call "GET A LAWYER" half-cocked advice ...

Look, this person, whomever he or she is obviously has an attorney (and a "buddy" at the DA's office -- at least for the short-term). I'm not sure why you even posted this in the first place, when you have not already exhausted those two avenues of information (which, btw, would be a much, much better source of information than us half-cocked folks on OSA ... :wink2:)

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you for the anecdotal response to this and admitting that you don't have an absolute answer to the question. I am seeking legal council on this matter but you have showed that it isn't an absolute issue by illustrating that someone in deferment has been allowed to possess weapons for hunting.

I'm not taking the advice, I thought this might be a good place to ask the question and get a statute or something, silly me asking a question about guns on a gun forum and expecting any responses other than opinion.

.GET A LAWYER

just saying ... :) oh, and it's "counsel" not "council" :)

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I think you are asking too much, even of the sages of OSA. You posted only the sketchiest of descriptions about what is going on and then asked for advice. Folks gave you advice based on the information you provided in your original post, complete with statutes pertaining to their opinion. I can have fun with the best of them, but you are just being patently disingenious now ...

:popcorn: (for the next PMS-driven post by you regarding this issue ...)

itzkwik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cause I dont take chances when it comes to my freedom but thats just me, if they commited a felony they wouldnt be around firearms under my roof probation or not but like said thats just me cuz everything I've read says no.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the person who is on unsupervised probation has access to your guns then he/she is in violation of their probation and will get their suspension revoked.
And you are in danger of loosing your guns for abating a known fellon. Even if the guns are in a gun safe they are not safe!

We will be glad to store them for you. We charge $10 per month per gun. No service fees

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was merely asking to see if this issue has ever been covered and if anyone had a statute or anything at all that was solid regarding the issue.

This is EXACTLY why I told you originally to contact Doug. NOTHING and I mean NOTHING in the law is "cut and dried". Every single legal opinion (and that is exactly what you are gonna get at a consultation -- an OPINION) is couched in the exact details of the situation and how existing statutes AND case law apply to that situation. Even then, you cannot ever be 100% certain that something won't go awry ... I've seen cases filed on the flimsiest of evidence and against fairly strong case law that still bankrupt the defendant and left him with a record he will have to carry for the rest of his life. All I'm saying is try really, really hard not to be that guy.

And, like I said previously, good luck to you. (And, all kidding and jabs aside, I mean it.)

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.ok.gov/osbi/Handgun_Licensing/Frequently_Asked_Questions/

This may have some useful information for you.

If you have your concealed permit you will have to surrender it if you have a felon living with you, you should be able to get another one once they have moved out for 30 days.
If he is currently considered a felon he may not reside in a house with firearms anywhere in it, you'd need to store them at another physical address.
You are not allowed to have any firearms yourself in a house where a felon resides.

Show me the statute. The individual that is on probation is precluded from a license. Having a felon in your home means the guns gotta go, not the license. Been down this road with the second wife when she managed to become a felon. Since I couldn't have guns in the house I chose not to renew my license at the time it was due for renewal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom