stray dogs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
As bad as it sounds I shoot them. Its 4 months after Xmas and time for people to start dumpin dogs on dirt roads. Easter dumps start in late august, usually more cats than dogs.

So sad but thats how it works.

I encounter the same, I've even had them drive by with the dog in the bed of the truck while we're outside, drive back by about ten minutes later, drive 100y down the road from the house, kick the dog out and take off.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll be the one to offer an opposing view. It may not be popular but i recently met one of the nicest, sweetest dogs. A friend was riding his bike and found the dog. The dog then followed him for 11 miles (at a good speed). When he went to pet the dog again he found that she had been shot twice in the hind sections (once shotgun and once with a pellet gun). They saved her and adopted her out to a family in vermont. I don't know why the dog was targeted, but she was so laid back and chill i have a hard time believing she was doing anything other then finding food. Blame the person who failed to fix their dog, not the animal.

You can do whatever you want, but there are options out there (you can turn the dog over to a shelter, etc). It's up to you. Having been attached and mauled by a dog, i don't have an issue with anyone dealing with a dangerous animal, but an annoying dog is another issue. Just don't be the d-bag that allows the dog to suffer.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As bad as it sounds I shoot them. Its 4 months after Xmas and time for people to start dumpin dogs on dirt roads. Easter dumps start in late august, usually more cats than dogs.

So sad but thats how it works.

I hate the A holes that dump their dog because they don't have the wherewithal to put the animal down or take it to a shelter. These dogs roam around, pack up, and will chase and take down baby calves. A lot of people think that coyotes are a big problem but honestly I have had far more trouble with neighbor dogs and strays that people dump out here. If you don't want your dog, put it down. If you turn it out to the countryside it will starve to death or kill a $1000 calf and then get shot by a cattleman.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ive called sherriff several times over the years and they say to shoot them. They wont respond unless a dog is a threat, then they shoot them.

I always do my best to make it quick and painless for the animal but sometimes at 2am I miss my mark. Im not a douche for that am I?

I have also kept 2 smaller dogs, 1 has cost me a ton of money but he is a keeper. I really dont think the Animal rights type knows how many dogs and cats get dumped on us rual folks.

I just wish people would dump chickens and guineas every once in a while to replace the hundred or so that have been lost over the years. Not to mention the vet bill I paid when a dump tore the guts out of my lil dog.

plissken

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to get some cats dumped out here. I need a good barn cat. Unfortunately, they must taste like chicken because the coyotes keep eating them. We get the occasional dog dumped way out here as well. With little kids and cattle, strays can't stay. Sometimes I wish the dog dumper was with me when I have to put their "burden" down. I don't think those city fellers realize what happens to their dogs out here. Very few get "adopted", most get dead.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love dogs, have had one most of my life. Right now an old lab is on a pillow by the fireplace. That being said, I've put my share of stray dogs down. Breaks my heart when I have too. Forget the .22, use a 30-30 at close range to thier head, end it quick.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think I'd have a problem putting most of them down if they were causing a problem... for me, I don't think I'd want to have to pack them off and do something with the carcasses. What do you guys do with them? Sell them to the local Chinese food place or what?

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't think I'd have a problem putting most of them down if they were causing a problem... for me, I don't think I'd want to have to pack them off and do something with the carcasses. What do you guys do with them? Sell them to the local Chinese food place or what?

until recently, my two daughter lived at home "dad, they were somebodys pet, bury them"

So thats what i do/did. Mark my words though, april, may and august, i could keep a chinese resraunt in meat.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

Bury in the pasture with a front end loader. Takes 5 minutes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom