Striper flavor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dang I typed "stripper flavor" to begin with, and my question was whether it was fishy.... That would have been a RickN thread for sure! 😂

Anyway, a friend and local okie invited me to go striper fishing and I'm wondering what I'll get into dinner-wise. He says it's mildly fishy because "it's fish" but so is crappie. I've eaten crappie and it's great, no fishy taste. I don't like black bass because it's fishy, catfish is the same. Hard pass on both of those. Any of you that have tried striper, is it fishy or more crappie flavored?

Last edited:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't say I've ever had striper before, but this morning's Outdoor Oklahoma featured Kent Rollins cooking stripers that he and a couple of other guys had caught on Texoma. His baking method/recipe looks like it's worth considering, so you might pass it along to your host.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't say I've ever had striper before, but this morning's Outdoor Oklahoma featured Kent Rollins cooking stripers that he and a couple of other guys had caught on Texoma. His baking method/recipe looks like it's worth considering, so you might pass it along to your host.

I got the call this morning so this may have been the inspiration. They lemoned the heck out of those fillets though. I might have to pack a pulled pork sandwich and some chicken wings for this trip, haha!

Yeti695

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Soak it in buttermilk or look online and see how to mix milk with vinegar to make your own buttermilk. Let it soak for at least 2 hours. The longer the better. Then bread it just like you do any other fish and fry. Also you can grill it like any fish. Make sure to cut out the red part as mentioned in another post.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dang I typed "stripper flavor" to begin with, and my question was whether it was fishy.... That would have been a RickN thread for sure! 😂

Anyway, a friend and local okie invited me to go striper fishing and I'm wondering what I'll get into dinner-wise. He says it's mildly fishy because "it's fish" but so is crappie. I've eaten crappie and it's great, no fishy taste. I don't like black bass because it's fishy, catfish is the same. Hard pass on both of those. Any of you that have tried striper, is it fishy or more crappie flavored?
Striper, stripper, it all smells a little fishy. Worse if not cleaned correctly. :P

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought fish was supposed to taste a little “fishy”. :anyone:

This. Same for people that don’t like venison or wild game because it tastes “gamey”. I think it was the guy from MeatEater that made a comment to the effect that people who don’t like the taste of wild game don’t like the taste of meat.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Soak it in buttermilk or look online and see how to mix milk with vinegar to make your own buttermilk. Let it soak for at least 2 hours. The longer the better. Then bread it just like you do any other fish and fry. Also you can grill it like any fish. Make sure to cut out the red part as mentioned in another post.
I knew you guys were the ones to ask. I'm going to try this and see what it turns out like. If it's still fishy I can just go for the fish tacos I guess

e984ab3e52a5059af06f83adb9c2b5ef.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom