Striper flavor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This thread is hilarious. I’ve never seen folks try so hard to change the taste of fish. I think a big problem for some of y’all is trying to cook it other than how God intended which is breaded with corn meal and submerged in 360* grease for a couple minutes. :thumb:
Crappie must be fried. It’s so flaky that it comes apart on the grill. Striper/Hybrid Striper is more like cod fish as earlier mentioned, holding together very well on the grill.
I’ve fried my share of every game fish and some rough fish legally allowed to be taken in Ok, but some just lend themselves to grilling as an alternative.
Tomato/ tomaato potato/potaato 🤣

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can't say I've ever had striper before, but this morning's Outdoor Oklahoma featured Kent Rollins cooking stripers that he and a couple of other guys had caught on Texoma. His baking method/recipe looks like it's worth considering, so you might pass it along to your host.

Kent knows how to cook, have watched a load of vids. Watch his chicken fried steak video. mmmmmmmmmm

Broncos

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stripers have a mild taste We spray with butter pam add treager salmon shake and grille till it is flaky 325 degrees for 7-8 minutes Spray with lemon juice and serve Bob apit

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I fillet mine like this for the past 50 or so years. Cut behind the head (Catfish you have to go a little further back) down to the rib cage. The top will go deeper. Slice his top right against the bones and fin to the rib cage and follow it down to where the ribs end then slice all the way through the the bottom skin to the back and leave about a 1/2 inch before the tail. Raise that meat up while cleaning closely around the ribs till I slice through the skin. Flip that over and slice the meat off right against the skin for a filet.

I be sure to cut off all the red meat with all fish of any different kind. Just cut a little V at a 45' angle down the red stripe sides and peal it out to throw away. Put the fillets in a bowl of Ice with a lot of salt to soak as I am finishing cleaning up. I mostly fry mine after rinsing by dipping in dry 1/2 Flour, 1/2 self rising Corn Meal, and a lot of black pepper, little salt, and something similar to Cajun seasoning coating well. Fry in 325'- 350' oil till a little after they start floating and are nice and crispy brown. Yep everyone has a different method that works for them. Enjoy.

NomDeBoom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought fish was supposed to taste a little “fishy”. :anyone:
They mostly are:
Except for Roosterfish
1659413915359.png
....which tastes like Frog Legs- which, themselves, taste like chicken-
...like chicken fried in anchovy oil, that is.
Which is cool; 'cuz I LIKE fish!
& Striper's good fish.

Dang I typed "stripper flavor" to begin with, and my question was whether it was fishy....
Strippers? Stripers?
I was going to ask, "What type of 'poles' are you using over there, anyway?"

Last edited:

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dang I typed "stripper flavor" to begin with, and my question was whether it was fishy.... That would have been a RickN thread for sure! 😂

Anyway, a friend and local okie invited me to go striper fishing and I'm wondering what I'll get into dinner-wise. He says it's mildly fishy because "it's fish" but so is crappie. I've eaten crappie and it's great, no fishy taste. I don't like black bass because it's fishy, catfish is the same. Hard pass on both of those. Any of you that have tried striper, is it fishy or more crappie flavored?

Funny. That’s the first thing I misread. Thinking of my younger days. Spent quiet a bit of time in a strip club as a bouncer.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dang I typed "stripper flavor" to begin with, and my question was whether it was fishy.... That would have been a RickN thread for sure! 😂

Anyway, a friend and local okie invited me to go striper fishing and I'm wondering what I'll get into dinner-wise. He says it's mildly fishy because "it's fish" but so is crappie. I've eaten crappie and it's great, no fishy taste. I don't like black bass because it's fishy, catfish is the same. Hard pass on both of those. Any of you that have tried striper, is it fishy or more crappie flavored?
There are few fish on this earth to compare with Crappie of panfish in general.

Latest posts

Top Bottom