Struck out on quail

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poncaprodigy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well this weekend me and the dog finally made it out. We hit up Kaw WMA the area known as "Uncas". We found nothing. I've noticed others have success and even some pheasants. Any recomendations on where we hit this weekend?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Quail are really spotty around the NC this year. Very few quail being taken.
The windy dry weather and low humidity isn't helping the dogs do their part either.

twocan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Iv never been quail hunting with a dogs before, someone will need to take me sometime. I have spooked a few up from time to time deer hunting.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Quail hunting with dogs is great....when there are quail.
The old days in the 80's when a man and dog could move 7-10 coveys a day and get a limit by noon are way over.
Sadly.

CCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Quail hunting with dogs is great....when there are quail.
The old days in the 80's when a man and dog could move 7-10 coveys a day and get a limit by noon are way over.
Sadly.

Those were the days. I remember me and several High School buddies would go out on public land and clean up.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ike and I went on some SW Okla private land yesterday. This is a place where in the past we would get up 8-10 coveys a day. We did get into seven coveys yesterday but they were each 5-10 birds, except for one that went about 20 birds. They were in the roughest stuff imaginable for the most part. Found out that Ike is going deaf (like me) and postponed a three day trip to Kansas till I can get a dog GPS collar. I didn't want to lose him up there. He's 12 and I could just retire him but he is a hunting machine! So I ordered the collar last night and might make it up there next week. I was with a couple of friends who had some pups. By the time the day was over they were doing pretty good by working with Ike. Pretty good time even though the birds were not plentiful.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ike and I went on some SW Okla private land yesterday. This is a place where in the past we would get up 8-10 coveys a day. We did get into seven coveys yesterday but they were each 5-10 birds, except for one that went about 20 birds. They were in the roughest stuff imaginable for the most part. Found out that Ike is going deaf (like me) and postponed a three day trip to Kansas till I can get a dog GPS collar. I didn't want to lose him up there. He's 12 and I could just retire him but he is a hunting machine! So I ordered the collar last night and might make it up there next week. I was with a couple of friends who had some pups. By the time the day was over they were doing pretty good by working with Ike. Pretty good time even though the birds were not plentiful.

I've made a couple of dogs deaf as well as myself. My female britt, (name) brittany, had so many birds shot over her that it was almost impossible to get her attention.
Finally went to a collar. Never used the shock part of it as that would be dumb as she couldn't hear commands, and she would be punished for a reason that she wouldn't understand.
The collar I got has a beeper and vibrator to get their attention. Worked great until she just got too old.....I've had to bury three bird dogs and a beagle.... and I'm telling you it was just as bad as having to bury a child.
I love my dogs. Gunner is really working for me now.
The day I die, I'd like to be hunting birds in the field with a perfect point, my wife and kids backing me up, have a massive heart attack and go to the place where I can hunt daily.

Sorry about being so emotional, but your story about Ike got me thinking...

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You got any pics of Ike? He sounds like a fine hound!

Actually I don't and I'm glad you reminded me. I had a few that were lost when an older computer crashed. They weren't backed up. I'm not very good about carrying a camera on hunting or fishing trips, but I'm working on it. I just received notice that the GPS collar will be here Friday. If it works we will be off for Kansas after church Sunday. I'll try to get a photo or two. Monday will be his 12th birthday.

I do want to brag on him a little tho'. I pulled out his records and had two photos in there that I scanned in. Here he is at 5 wks old from the breeders. They called him Big Mac. He was the litters alpha male and boss of the food bowl.

ai161.photobucket.com_albums_t201_IkenI_photo_IMG_0002.jpg

He is from Shooting Starr's German Shorthaired Pointers kennel, Jim Rieser, DVM, Franksville, WI. One of the best old line GSP kennels in the country. It was profiled in the Sep/Oct 97 issue of The Pointing Dog Journal. The article actually has a photo of Kristen Rieser (in the photo above) and Ike's Momma, Rickster (Rickie) who was a NAVHDA champion and Master Hunter. Ike's sire was Versatile Champion and 6x NSTRA Champion Cadens Rowdy Rudy, MH. - one of the most successful GSP's in the last 20 years or so. Both his parents were hunting dogs first and test/trial dogs second.

Ike is his call name but his real name is Shooting Starr's Commander. I'm not one to run trials or tests but he is a NAVHDA NA pup completing the test in Missouri at about five months old.

On his first ever hunting trip at 10 months old he worked with an older female, Murphy Brown, to get my Missouri limit of pheasant in less than three hours. He also backed Murphy on two coveys of Quail. Here is a photo when he was a little over a year old.

ai161.photobucket.com_albums_t201_IkenI_photo_IMG_0001.jpg

We have had many a good trip in Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa and Colorado over the years. I need to get some photos taken!

I've made a couple of dogs deaf as well as myself. My female britt, (name) brittany, had so many birds shot over her that it was almost impossible to get her attention.
Finally went to a collar. Never used the shock part of it as that would be dumb as she couldn't hear commands, and she would be punished for a reason that she wouldn't understand.
The collar I got has a beeper and vibrator to get their attention. Worked great until she just got too old.....I've had to bury three bird dogs and a beagle.... and I'm telling you it was just as bad as having to bury a child.
I love my dogs. Gunner is really working for me now.
The day I die, I'd like to be hunting birds in the field with a perfect point, my wife and kids backing me up, have a massive heart attack and go to the place where I can hunt daily.

Sorry about being so emotional, but your story about Ike got me thinking...

Dennis, I understand the emotion. I've been through a few dogs myself over the last 35 years. Ike is my last great hunting dog. If he goes before me I'll just live with the memories.

Latest posts

Top Bottom