Struck out on quail

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

romeo212000

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The hunting is tougher this year than last year. I think there are at least as many birds if not a few more, but the conditions are horrible making things really tough on some good dogs. Been out 6 days this year and killed about 40 birds so my average is way down from last year. However, on a positive note I have had some great work out of my young dogs this year. The birds are there. The days of taking just one dog and piddling around and killing a limit are done though. Not many people want to hunt hard enough to find them though.

poncaprodigy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well since I started it I guess I might as well post up a few pictures of my pup. Reading through some of the comments about you other dog owners, especially those of us with hunting dogs I know what feelings your talking about related to your dog. Ori, my dog I treat like a child. It almost seems that he feels that missing something in my life and he makes me a better person. Plus...he taught me patience. Without further ado here is Ori the 1.5 yr old GSP.
[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Beautiful pics guys. I have always had a soft spot for GSP's, they are the most beautiful ugly dogs out there. I have only had the (un)fortunate experience of owning one, and she was a wreck. I got her from someone that did not work with her and was ready to give her up at 1 yr. I don't normally like to take on a dog like that, but she was just a gorgeous dog and I couldn't resist. I lived in town at the time and I swear that dog could have escaped Alcatraz. She loved to get loose and run the neighborhood to retrieve shoes from other people's porches... but only one shoe. She would bring every one and drop it at my doorstep then take off for another. One morning I found 6 solo shoes on my porch and no dog. Someone picked her up. I hung flyers and checked the pound, but whoever got her planned on keeping her. Have to admit, I was a little relieved. I am considering getting another dog in the near future and am really torn on what I want. My current dog is a black lab and is just a champ on pheasants and ducks. I know I will never be able to replace her, as she is also my best and most loyal friend in the whole world. I am considering getting another lab, GSP, Wiemaraner or a French Brittany. I hunt everything and need a very versatile dog, but am leaning so hard on the French Brittany, just because they make such good companions as well as a bird dog. I am going to have to ponder it for a good while.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Beautiful pics guys. I have always had a soft spot for GSP's, they are the most beautiful ugly dogs out there. I have only had the (un)fortunate experience of owning one, and she was a wreck. I got her from someone that did not work with her and was ready to give her up at 1 yr. I don't normally like to take on a dog like that, but she was just a gorgeous dog and I couldn't resist. I lived in town at the time and I swear that dog could have escaped Alcatraz. She loved to get loose and run the neighborhood to retrieve shoes from other people's porches... but only one shoe. She would bring every one and drop it at my doorstep then take off for another. One morning I found 6 solo shoes on my porch and no dog. Someone picked her up. I hung flyers and checked the pound, but whoever got her planned on keeping her. Have to admit, I was a little relieved. I am considering getting another dog in the near future and am really torn on what I want. My current dog is a black lab and is just a champ on pheasants and ducks. I know I will never be able to replace her, as she is also my best and most loyal friend in the whole world. I am considering getting another lab, GSP, Wiemaraner or a French Brittany. I hunt everything and need a very versatile dog, but am leaning so hard on the French Brittany, just because they make such good companions as well as a bird dog. I am going to have to ponder it for a good while.

I looked real seriously at the French Britts, before getting gunner. Great dogs, but man are they expensive!

Britts in general are great family dogs, as well a good hunters.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ponca...Ori looks great. Enjoy!

r00s7a...Don't give up on GSPs. I've had them for over 35 years now and only had one that didn't hunt. That one made a great pet for a family. GSPs are my favorite but any of the so called Versatile breeds are good breeds. I have hunted over about every breed there is with friends and members of a NAVHDA chapter I belonged to some years back. I really enjoyed the Brits and Wirehairs almost as much as my GSPs. Also had a super Lab but that's a different type hunting dog. For training help check out NAVHDA. I think there is a chapter in Tulsa.

Love those dogs! Here is Ike's buddy, Emma
[Broken External Image]
dreaming that she's gonna grow up to be like him someday.
ai161.photobucket.com_albums_t201_IkenI_photo_003.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom