"sub-machine" "assault-rifle" whats nice but cheap?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
there is a gun show this weekend, and i am going to go on the 27th, i already got my mosin nagant, but now i am interested in a more modern weapon.
i really like the vector, ump (usc), but they are pretty expensive for a short 45acp rifle, at least for my taste, i would rather not spend 2k to get a nice "tatical gun"

basically im wanting something that feels tight when held, feels good to fire standing, and easily reach 100yards with a scope.

i like the 45 of the sub machine guns, because it seems more likely i will get ammo and shoot it than if i were to get a 223.

another idea is a calico liberty in 9mm. but i honestly do not know its effective target range of that round.

so what do you think?
i want something nice, modern, not a huge round but no smaller than a 9mm, good priced ammo (possible purchase ammo online if know good deals) max price for a decked out ( grip, rail, possibly folding stick, 4.5-12x40 nikon, 2 mags, sling. for less than $1300.00.

so what should i look for, or start looking up for info about before i go to the gunshow?

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
there is a gun show this weekend, and i am going to go on the 27th, i already got my mosin nagant, but now i am interested in a more modern weapon.
i really like the vector, ump (usc), but they are pretty expensive for a short 45acp rifle, at least for my taste, i would rather not spend 2k to get a nice "tatical gun"

basically im wanting something that feels tight when held, feels good to fire standing, and easily reach 100yards with a scope.

i like the 45 of the sub machine guns, because it seems more likely i will get ammo and shoot it than if i were to get a 223.

another idea is a calico liberty in 9mm. but i honestly do not know its effective target range of that round.

so what do you think?
i want something nice, modern, not a huge round but no smaller than a 9mm, good priced ammo (possible purchase ammo online if know good deals) max price for a decked out ( grip, rail, possibly folding stick, 4.5-12x40 nikon, 2 mags, sling. for less than $1300.00.

so what should i look for, or start looking up for info about before i go to the gunshow?

I don't think you can get any "submachine gun" for $1300 mabye 4 times that.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think you can get any "submachine gun" for $1300 mabye 4 times that.

No joke, "sub machine gun" "assault-rifle" and ineffective 9mm, as well as .45 being cheaper than .223 all in the same post.

Throw out a "clips" and you'll have all the major gun fox paus in one epic posting :D

Its all good though man - welcome to the site.

My money is still on an AR (they're just so darn cheap right now). Build one up in 9mm if you want it cheaper or just standard old .223 and stick with Wal-Mart Federal bulk ammo at $0.40 per round and its pretty hard to beat that.

I'd avoid looking at gun-shows for deals (unless you're looking to score a deal off of an individual sale) and just order online or get your 20 valid posts in and start shopping the classifieds here.

JTA

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I really think you need to get your terminology correct. A submachine gun is a fully automatic weapon chambered to a pistol cartridge. Full auto weapons (which are legal) will require a lot more paper work, waiting, and money. An "assault rifle" is also by definition a fully automatic weapon only it is chambered in a true rifle round. What you are looking for is most likely a carbine (semi-automatic rifle chambered to a pistol round). The following are a few recommendations:

1. The Ruger PC carbine (in either 9 mm or .40 S&W) - no longer produced, but you may still be able to find them. They use ruger P-series handgun magazines, and were generally well regarded. Price estimate $400-$500.

2. The Marlin Camp carbine (in either 9 mm or .45 ACP) - no longer produced. They use S&W 5900 series magazines. Not sure on the price.

3. Beretta CX4 Storm (in 9 mm, .40 S&W, or .45 ACP) - still produced. They look very futuristic, but are very ergonomic and shoot well. They use Beretta 92 or Cougar magazines. Price estimate $650-$700.

Any of these options would be a good place to begin your search, and should be well within your projected budget (even including the ammo and accessories).

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
thank you jta, i will look into them.

not really interested in an ak.

and i am sorry to have upset you others with my video game terminology. perhaps light weapon system would have rubbed you a bit more in the correct direction. i had hoped when i typed it that the "" would have given a bit more a hint that i was using the terms very loosely.

of course i am not looking for any thing full auto.

i will attempt to be more careful with my wording next time.

S&W 10

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
...2. The Marlin Camp carbine (in either 9 mm or .45 ACP) - no longer produced. They use S&W 5900 series magazines. Not sure on the price...
If it helps; I recently sold a like new, unfired Camp 9 with two factory mags for $375. It still had the Marlin sticker on it, but no box or papers.
The ability to use S&W mags was the main reason for me buying the nice little carbine, but never got around to shooting it; I never really found a practical use.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i really like the cx4 storm, and the gunbroker prices are not bad. like 600-700.

but ordering a new one from beretta has no chance of having a rail on it to start, and its 900 plus tax.

think i need to get my posts so i can ask in the wtb if anyone has one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom