"sub-machine" "assault-rifle" whats nice but cheap?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have a Beretta M9, it should be able to bang steel at 100yds all day with iron sights. A carbine has a longer sight-radius, a butt-stock, and usually a place to put your support hand - it should be even more accurate in most cases. You shouldn't have any problem at 100yds or less unless you're trying to make groups or hit tiny targets.

At a minimum, you should be effective with your handgun out to 50yds on a large target.

Hit some of the folks up on this board for a trip to the range and have someone else shoot your guns - if they can hit the target at 100yds, you should be able to with enough practice (providing you're practicing the right stuff). Most of the folks here will offer advice or pointers if you're doing something wrong and get you on the right path.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go with the AR-15. You can find good deals out there. Zanders has a S&W M&P15OR for under $800. OR is optics ready, then you would be able to put any scope on it you want. Ammo is readily available now and you can get quality ammo for under $400 a case.

1eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If at all possible the first one I would buy would be an AR. Ammo is reasonable, available and the rifle is extremely versitile. You can plink, hunt and be reasonably effective at long range. The hi-point carbine I prefer to call an inexpensive plinker that will consistantly hit bowling pins at 100yds with a red dot sight. Let your wallet and conscience be your guide and then BUY ALL THE GUNS YOU CAN!

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i am not incredibly good.
i am passed my requirements for my job. which is based at 7-10 yards. center mass. but that is easy.

i probably could hit a silhouette at 100 yards with my pistols. but that i am looking for more of a plinking rifle experience.

i think i am looking at the 223 ar15. i really like the looks of this one someone has for sale on here. i have never seen one with the rails like this i think its a solid looking gun.

any ups or downs on the stag arms things to watch out for?

12gabackup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stag's good stuff. I'ld get a flattop with a removeable carry handle rear sight.
DPMS is also a decent choice. (in that price range)
You need to hook up with someone that knows what they're doing and go to a good gunshow.

Cheepshooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The hiponts are great, cheap, and fun. However, if you've just plinking get a Ruger 10/22. 1300 bones will get the rifle, scope, and a year's supply of ammo!

Stags are as good as any AR. They're basically all the same with a few exceptions.

Jpt

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i am an armed security guard.

i have a 22 "plinker" i guess, that i really love, its my grandpas old 44 us(b)

for a modern more tight gun, and a higher round, i think i like this stag 15, the rail on top looks like all i would have to do is go into the store and get my scope and a set of rings and i would have a nice, i guess i had put 223 out of my mind because i thought of it as expensive, but its really about the same as the 7.62x54r.

i would love to go the the gun-show this weekend with someone who knows more, i am mainly going to see what its all about, see some neat stuff, and look for some scope mounts for my 91/30, and my 44 us(b). i am hopeful there will be enough vendors there that i will stand a chance of finding them without having to order them online. and if i happened into a deal on a rifle like this that would be awesome.

for a used stag ar15 in good condition, 750-800 doesn't seem bad. but all i have to go on is gunbroker listings any ideas?

Latest posts

Top Bottom